Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

  • DuaneCraps
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
      Josh,

      Unless you have a DC feed from the power co., you are not getting any new electrons , only the same ones jogged back and forth. You might, however,  be sharing some with your neighbors who are on the same transformer. It might be worthwhile to invest in a whole house isolation transformer to assure that  you don’t get defective electrons from your neighbors. Can’t be too careful these days.

      Duane

      Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:58 AM
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

      --- In mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Thanks everyone for
      your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
      > --
      > Sent from my PDP
      8/e.

      lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this, does anyone here have an electron microscope?

      :)J

    • corey986
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
        Yep I had a terminal Pop the serial driver chips, but the terminal was apparently "hacked". When I found a "switch" inside that I flipped, it stopped killing drivers.

        So in my case you could say the 1488/1489 drivers were not victims of normal circumstances, but of a short or mis-wiring.

        In the end no biggie. I have a bunch of NOS drivers for my 3P+S, it's just my sio-A MITS serial card I'm won't risk on an unknown terminal.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
        > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
        > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
        > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
        > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
        > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
        > throw that one out there to see what others think.

      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
          The PC Museum here in Ontario has an IMSAI 8080 that I plan to get operational next weekend. It doesn't have the original 8080 board and without it the front panel can't work, so I've built a replacement 8080A cpu card and loaded it with RAM, I/O, and a Disk Emulator.

          Does anyone have any CP/M software I can run on it for a decent demo? Wumpus perhaps?

          Thanks,
          Josh