Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > But seriously, my problems are all independent of each other. I do
      > everything through the grounded power supply of a battery backup with surge
      >
      > The 1488/1489's do die, and I have had to replace a few for sure. Better
      > these than other parts.
      >
      > I have other devices that are quite stable with my laptop as the terminal.
      > I think in my case it's just the computers/devices themselves, I try to not
      > to short things but I am not the most dexterous.
      >
      > Bill

      I think the best advice is to ground yourself more often. Like Ian said, he would touch metal before computer.

      I have personally seen in my professional work how some people are more likely to create a static charge. I don't know if it's clothes, physical chemistry or personality but there is a definite difference.

      Before you work on that COSMAC Microkit, you better touch wood and metal!

      :)J
    • DuaneCraps
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
        Josh,

        Unless you have a DC feed from the power co., you are not getting any new electrons , only the same ones jogged back and forth. You might, however,  be sharing some with your neighbors who are on the same transformer. It might be worthwhile to invest in a whole house isolation transformer to assure that  you don’t get defective electrons from your neighbors. Can’t be too careful these days.

        Duane

        Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:58 AM
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

        --- In mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Thanks everyone for
        your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
        > --
        > Sent from my PDP
        8/e.

        lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this, does anyone here have an electron microscope?

        :)J

      • corey986
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
          Yep I had a terminal Pop the serial driver chips, but the terminal was apparently "hacked". When I found a "switch" inside that I flipped, it stopped killing drivers.

          So in my case you could say the 1488/1489 drivers were not victims of normal circumstances, but of a short or mis-wiring.

          In the end no biggie. I have a bunch of NOS drivers for my 3P+S, it's just my sio-A MITS serial card I'm won't risk on an unknown terminal.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
          > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
          > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
          > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
          > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
          > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
          > throw that one out there to see what others think.

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
            The PC Museum here in Ontario has an IMSAI 8080 that I plan to get operational next weekend. It doesn't have the original 8080 board and without it the front panel can't work, so I've built a replacement 8080A cpu card and loaded it with RAM, I/O, and a Disk Emulator.

            Does anyone have any CP/M software I can run on it for a decent demo? Wumpus perhaps?

            Thanks,
            Josh