Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
      > Later on, I happened to have the computer apart and there was a little crater in one of the RS232 line driver chips on the computer's motherboard. Interesting that I was able to blow out the chip like that, with static, on properly wired, correctly grounded machines.

      Perhaps the static only shorted one transistor, but if that transistor was the constant current source (now unlimited current source) for some other transistors... then it's game on!

      :)J
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > But seriously, my problems are all independent of each other. I do
        > everything through the grounded power supply of a battery backup with surge
        >
        > The 1488/1489's do die, and I have had to replace a few for sure. Better
        > these than other parts.
        >
        > I have other devices that are quite stable with my laptop as the terminal.
        > I think in my case it's just the computers/devices themselves, I try to not
        > to short things but I am not the most dexterous.
        >
        > Bill

        I think the best advice is to ground yourself more often. Like Ian said, he would touch metal before computer.

        I have personally seen in my professional work how some people are more likely to create a static charge. I don't know if it's clothes, physical chemistry or personality but there is a definite difference.

        Before you work on that COSMAC Microkit, you better touch wood and metal!

        :)J
      • DuaneCraps
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
          Josh,

          Unless you have a DC feed from the power co., you are not getting any new electrons , only the same ones jogged back and forth. You might, however,  be sharing some with your neighbors who are on the same transformer. It might be worthwhile to invest in a whole house isolation transformer to assure that  you don’t get defective electrons from your neighbors. Can’t be too careful these days.

          Duane

          Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:58 AM
          Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

          --- In mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Thanks everyone for
          your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
          > --
          > Sent from my PDP
          8/e.

          lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this, does anyone here have an electron microscope?

          :)J

        • corey986
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
            Yep I had a terminal Pop the serial driver chips, but the terminal was apparently "hacked". When I found a "switch" inside that I flipped, it stopped killing drivers.

            So in my case you could say the 1488/1489 drivers were not victims of normal circumstances, but of a short or mis-wiring.

            In the end no biggie. I have a bunch of NOS drivers for my 3P+S, it's just my sio-A MITS serial card I'm won't risk on an unknown terminal.

            Cheers,
            Corey

            > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
            > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
            > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
            > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
            > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
            > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
            > throw that one out there to see what others think.

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 7, 2013
              The PC Museum here in Ontario has an IMSAI 8080 that I plan to get operational next weekend. It doesn't have the original 8080 board and without it the front panel can't work, so I've built a replacement 8080A cpu card and loaded it with RAM, I/O, and a Disk Emulator.

              Does anyone have any CP/M software I can run on it for a decent demo? Wumpus perhaps?

              Thanks,
              Josh