Re: [midatlanticretro] can a terminal damage a computer?

    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 6 1:38 PM
      On 04/06/2013 04:37 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
      > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
      > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
      > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
      > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
      > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
      > throw that one out there to see what others think.

      Grounding problem?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 6 3:14 PM

        > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
        > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
        > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
        > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
        > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
        > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
        > throw that one out there to see what others think.

        What's going wrong with the computer? Is the 1489 receiver getting zapped? I'm going to guess your laptop might be more likely to deliver a static charge to the RS-232 port. A regular PC or Terminal is grounded. The only problem with this theory, is the LAPTOP is equally at risk to have it's RS-232 input fried. Well, perhaps not "equally", I'm going to take back that last line. The laptop probably has better static protection due to it being a portable device and due to it's based on newer technology.

        Ground yourself, ground the laptop, then plug into the host computer?

        :)J
      • David Riley
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 6 3:24 PM
          On Apr 6, 2013, at 16:38, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          On 04/06/2013 04:37 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
          > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
          > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
          > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
          > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
          > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
          > throw that one out there to see what others think.

          Grounding problem?

          I've definitely seen dual soldering irons damage electronics because of grounding problems (or, more accurately, potential difference problems). We had a pair that were on adjacent outlets in the lab which had 60v potential between the tips. And these were Metcals, not some cheap firestarters. Fixed the wiring an everything was happy.

          - Dave
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 6 5:37 PM
            On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:14:54PM -0000, joshbensadon wrote:
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
            > > recently.
            >
            > Ground yourself, ground the laptop, then plug into the host computer?

            Running off batteries or if you have a 2 prong power adapter or it doesn't
            ground the power supply output the computer your attached to gets
            the energy from static zaps to the laptop.
          • hornbetw
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 6 5:47 PM
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:14:54PM -0000, joshbensadon wrote:
              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
              > > > recently.
              > >
              > > Ground yourself, ground the laptop, then plug into the host computer?
              > >
              > Running off batteries or if you have a 2 prong power adapter or it doesn't
              > ground the power supply output the computer your attached to gets
              > the energy from static zaps to the laptop.

              Most later model laptops with built in serial ports are not actually RS-232 compliant. Their serial ports are EIA-562 compliant. '562 has voltage swings around +/- 6 volts instead of +/- 12 volts. It's possible the lower swing might overstress older 1488/1489 chips.

              Tom
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 6 7:31 PM
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "hornbetw" <hornbetw@...> wrote:

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@> wrote:

                > > > Ground yourself, ground the laptop, then plug into the host computer?
                > > >
                > > Running off batteries or if you have a 2 prong power adapter or it doesn't
                > > ground the power supply output the computer your attached to gets
                > > the energy from static zaps to the laptop.
                > >

                > Most later model laptops with built in serial ports are not actually RS-232 compliant. Their serial ports are EIA-562 compliant. '562 has voltage swings around +/- 6 volts instead of +/- 12 volts. It's possible the lower swing might overstress older 1488/1489 chips.
                >
                > Tom

                It wouldn't affect the 1488 transmitter chips. I checked the data sheet for the the 1489 receiver chip, it's suppose to work from +/-2 to +/-30. I would agree that lesser voltages that put a digital chip into that gray area which is not 0 or 1 does stress them, however, in the case of the 1489, it has hysteresis built in (according to the data sheet for the National & TI chip) which has no "gray area".

                A good clue here would be to know if the damage happens after prolong usage or if the damage is happening right away when you first connect the laptop.

                We don't even know what the damage is yet. Bill might just be forgetting to turn the computer on!?

                :)J
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 6 7:44 PM
                  >> Bill might just be forgetting to turn the computer on!?

                  There is precedent .... the time he declared our PDP-11/20 power supply
                  dead, until yours truly observed that * the computer wasn't turned on *. :)
                • DuaneCraps
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 7 5:37 AM
                    Make sure that pin 1 is wired to chassis ground on both devices and is not open in your cable. this is separate from pin 7 , signal ground . If the connector has a metal shell I would connect it to that too as, it will likely make contact before any of the pins.

                    Duane

                    Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:31 PM
                    Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

                    href="mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@> wrote:

                    > > > Ground
                    yourself, ground the laptop, then plug into the host computer?

                    > > Running off batteries or if you have a 2 prong power adapter or it
                    doesn't
                    > > ground the power supply output the computer your attached
                    to gets
                    > > the energy from static zaps to the laptop.
                    > >

                    > Most later model laptops with built in serial ports are
                    not actually RS-232 compliant. Their serial ports are EIA-562 compliant. '562 has voltage swings around +/- 6 volts instead of +/- 12 volts. It's possible the lower swing might overstress older 1488/1489 chips.

                    Tom

                    It wouldn't affect the 1488 transmitter chips. I checked the data sheet for the the 1489 receiver chip, it's suppose to work from +/-2 to +/-30. I would agree that lesser voltages that put a digital chip into that gray area which is not 0 or 1 does stress them, however, in the case of the 1489, it has hysteresis built in (according to the data sheet for the National & TI chip) which has no "gray area".

                    A good clue here would be to know if the damage happens after prolong usage or if the damage is happening right away when you first connect the laptop.

                    We don't even know what the damage is yet. Bill might just be forgetting to turn the computer on!?

                    :)J

                  • Neil Cherry
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 7 5:38 AM
                      On 04/06/2013 04:37 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                      > I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
                      > recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to cause it
                      > to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey was mentioning
                      > that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS drivers, but I have
                      > not done anything like that, I am using the same Win 2000 computer I have
                      > had for years. Thinking I am just being superstitious but thought I'd
                      > throw that one out there to see what others think.

                      As other have noted, could be grounding problems. One thing I've found
                      greatly useful was to put the devices on a ground fault interrupt
                      outlet. If there is a ground problem then the GFI trips without destroying
                      either the computer or the laptop. Also using a 1:1 transformer (Isolation
                      transformer) is probably not a bad idea.

                      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                    • Mr Ian Primus
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 7 6:02 AM
                        It's going to be really rare for a terminal to damage a computer... beyond possibly burning out the 1488/1489 chips if there is something horribly wrong with the terminal, wired wrong, etc. From what I've read, RS232 spec was designed so that any of the wires could be shorted to any of the others without damaging it. Not that it's foolproof, but...

                        Now, there is an exception here if there is bad wiring in the building. If the computer and the terminal are on separate circuits, and one device isn't grounded, AND another fault occurs, then Bad Things can happen, because it's very possible to get a 120v differential between grounds. But, this will be a rather spectacular show of sparks and burning smells. Not a subtle device failure.

                        I have many dozens of terminals, and I've never had one damage a computer.

                        I had one weird occurrence several years ago while copying some files on an Apple IIe, however. I had the Apple II connected to the PC's RS232 port, and was using Kermit to transfer some stuff back and forth. And, this was one of those rare occasions when all of the covers were actually on everything. Cover on the PC, cover on the Apple II, monitor sitting on top. It was winter, so the air was dry, and in my computer room, I had one of those plastic chair mats, and a wheeled office chair with plastic wheels. This room is wired correctly, and properly grounded.

                        I had been typing on the Apple II, moved a foot or two to do something else, went back, and habitually touched the metal bottom casing of the Apple to discharge any static. I get a respectable static zap from it, and then start typing. The serial line isn't responding. I spend a few minutes checking cables, and assume that I must have damaged the RS232 chips in the Apple with the static. Swap out the SSC in the Apple - nothing. Then I happen to try the other RS232 port on the computer - it works. So, I'd burned out the RS232 chip in the computer. The original SSC from the Apple was fine. The only damage was the PC.

                        Later on, I happened to have the computer apart and there was a little crater in one of the RS232 line driver chips on the computer's motherboard. Interesting that I was able to blow out the chip like that, with static, on properly wired, correctly grounded machines.

                        That has never happened since, and I can't explain it. You'd think the static would have damaged the Apple before the PC - and either way, the metal casing of the Apple is directly grounded. So is the casing of the PC.

                        -Ian
                      • Wesley Furr
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 7 6:11 AM
                          Perhaps the chip was marginal to begin with, thus a very small jolt was
                          enough to cause it to fail? Seems odd it would generate in the Apple II
                          (where you touched) and go across the serial line without damaging the II...

                          Wesley

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 7 6:32 AM
                            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                            >>> Bill might just be forgetting to turn the computer on!?
                            >
                            >There is precedent .... the time he declared our PDP-11/20 power supply
                            >
                            >dead, until yours truly observed that * the computer wasn't turned on
                            >*. :)

                            Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
                            --
                            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 7 6:58 AM

                              > Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
                              > --
                              > Sent from my PDP 8/e.

                              lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this, does anyone here have an electron microscope?

                              :)J
                            • Jeff Jonas
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 7 9:00 AM
                                I defer to Ian's experience:

                                > It's going to be really rare for a terminal
                                > to damage a computer... beyond possibly burning out the
                                > 1488/1489 chips if there is something horribly wrong
                                > with the terminal, wired wrong, etc.

                                The Altair serial port blew one of those chips
                                at the MARCH exhibit at the MAKER fair a few years ago.
                                I'm unsure if it was damaged there, or before.
                                But it sure ruined our day :-(

                                > Now, there is an exception here
                                > if there is bad wiring in the building.

                                As you vividly demonstrated at VCF with your Prime :-/
                                Perhaps I ought to demonstrate my
                                fiber optic RS232 adapters.
                                No metal between the systems,
                                and it can reach over a km without repeaters!

                                > I had one weird occurrence several years ago
                                > while copying some files on an Apple IIe, however ...
                                [static zap]
                                > So, I'd burned out the RS232 chip in the [PC] computer.

                                It's a crime not to socket those chips.

                                <mild rant>
                                The Univac is made up of hundreds, perhaps thousands of
                                teeny PC boards because it required constant maintenance.
                                Even televisions of the 70s were modular.
                                But now everything's surface mount
                                and so highly integrated into the motherboard
                                that the mobo is considered a FRU (field replaceable unit).
                                Happily, my car is not that way (yet!)

                                <slightly off topic>
                                Using a laptop/netbook/tablet (with software terminal emulation) with a USB to RS232 adapter sounds reasonably safe because the external adapter is the only thing at risk. Sadly, the Trenton Computer Fest's flea mkt is too small to offer them cheap as in years past :-(

                                There are 2 chips inside those dongles
                                - a FTDI FT232RL USB to serial adapter (or Prolific part)
                                but that's 5V TTL serial
                                (Adafruit's FTDI friend is just that chip
                                http://www.adafruit.com/products/284 )
                                - a Maxim MAX232 driver/buffer for TTL to RS232 levels
                                with built in power supply so it's +5V only
                                (also available as a teeny board:
                                http://www.mikroe.com/add-on-boards/communication/max232/ )

                                I just soldered up a RS232 to current loop adapter should MARCH need to interface to a current loop terminal.
                                It's not opto-ioslated but it was good enough to be a kit!

                                I'm unsure when or if I'll ever interface Bluetooth to that for wireless links to the vintage TTY.

                                -- jeff jonas
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 7 10:16 AM
                                  On 04/06/2013 04:37 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                                  >> I have had a few computers fail while using my laptop as a terminal,
                                  >> recently. Is there something a rs232 port can do to a computer to
                                  >> cause it to fail, like the 1488/1489 drivers? Just seems odd. Corey
                                  >> was mentioning that he had problems with his laptop after upgrading OS
                                  >> drivers, but I have not done anything like that, I am using the same
                                  >> Win 2000 computer I have had for years. Thinking I am just being
                                  >> superstitious but thought I'd throw that one out there to see what others
                                  think.

                                  >As other have noted, could be grounding problems. One thing I've found
                                  greatly useful was to put the devices on a ground fault interrupt outlet. If
                                  there is >a ground problem then the GFI trips without destroying either the
                                  computer or the laptop. Also using a 1:1 transformer (Isolation
                                  >transformer) is probably not a bad idea.

                                  --------------------
                                  ------------
                                  ---

                                  But seriously, my problems are all independent of each other. I do
                                  everything through the grounded power supply of a battery backup with surge
                                  protector so I would think I would get bad news lights if there was a
                                  problem. I often solder at a different station than my laptop terminal.

                                  The 1488/1489's do die, and I have had to replace a few for sure. Better
                                  these than other parts.

                                  I have other devices that are quite stable with my laptop as the terminal.
                                  I think in my case it's just the computers/devices themselves, I try to not
                                  to short things but I am not the most dexterous.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 7 10:44 AM
                                    On 04/07/2013 09:58 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                    >> Thanks everyone for your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground
                                    >> line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water
                                    >> occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons
                                    >> flowing better.
                                    >
                                    > lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used
                                    > electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this,
                                    > does anyone here have an electron microscope?

                                    [raises hand] I do.

                                    However, inspecting electrons with an electron microscope is tough, because
                                    you have to stain them for them to become visible. I once had a bottle of
                                    stain that was made from quarks and muons, but the guy who sold it to me (who
                                    had the oddest green scaly skin) isn't answering his phone anymore.

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • joshbensadon
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 7 1:18 PM
                                      > Later on, I happened to have the computer apart and there was a little crater in one of the RS232 line driver chips on the computer's motherboard. Interesting that I was able to blow out the chip like that, with static, on properly wired, correctly grounded machines.

                                      Perhaps the static only shorted one transistor, but if that transistor was the constant current source (now unlimited current source) for some other transistors... then it's game on!

                                      :)J
                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 7 1:28 PM
                                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                        > But seriously, my problems are all independent of each other. I do
                                        > everything through the grounded power supply of a battery backup with surge
                                        >
                                        > The 1488/1489's do die, and I have had to replace a few for sure. Better
                                        > these than other parts.
                                        >
                                        > I have other devices that are quite stable with my laptop as the terminal.
                                        > I think in my case it's just the computers/devices themselves, I try to not
                                        > to short things but I am not the most dexterous.
                                        >
                                        > Bill

                                        I think the best advice is to ground yourself more often. Like Ian said, he would touch metal before computer.

                                        I have personally seen in my professional work how some people are more likely to create a static charge. I don't know if it's clothes, physical chemistry or personality but there is a definite difference.

                                        Before you work on that COSMAC Microkit, you better touch wood and metal!

                                        :)J
                                      • DuaneCraps
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 7 2:33 PM
                                          Josh,

                                          Unless you have a DC feed from the power co., you are not getting any new electrons , only the same ones jogged back and forth. You might, however,  be sharing some with your neighbors who are on the same transformer. It might be worthwhile to invest in a whole house isolation transformer to assure that  you don’t get defective electrons from your neighbors. Can’t be too careful these days.

                                          Duane

                                          Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:58 AM

                                          --- In mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks everyone for
                                          your useful suggestions. I was burying the ground line in a coffee can full of dirt but I should be adding water occasionally to keep it a little muddy. That keeps the electrons flowing better.
                                          > --
                                          > Sent from my PDP
                                          8/e.

                                          lol. On this note, I think the electric company may be giving us used electrons (and charging us for new ones). I have no way to verify this, does anyone here have an electron microscope?

                                          :)J

                                        • corey986
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 7 4:38 PM
                                            Yep I had a terminal Pop the serial driver chips, but the terminal was apparently "hacked". When I found a "switch" inside that I flipped, it stopped killing drivers.

                                            So in my case you could say the 1488/1489 drivers were not victims of normal circumstances, but of a short or mis-wiring.

                                            In the end no biggie. I have a bunch of NOS drivers for my 3P+S, it's just my sio-A MITS serial card I'm won't risk on an unknown terminal.

                                            Cheers,
                                            Corey

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 7 6:12 PM
                                              The PC Museum here in Ontario has an IMSAI 8080 that I plan to get operational next weekend. It doesn't have the original 8080 board and without it the front panel can't work, so I've built a replacement 8080A cpu card and loaded it with RAM, I/O, and a Disk Emulator.

                                              Does anyone have any CP/M software I can run on it for a decent demo? Wumpus perhaps?

                                              Thanks,
                                              Josh