Re: RCA COSMAC Microkit

  • DougCrawford
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
      Congrats! I'm glad its in good hands!
      Glad you choose well on your 1802 find :)
      DC

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
        On 04/04/2013 09:38 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > I am not one to exaggerate but I really think this is a big deal find and I
        > am thrilled about this original RCA COSMAC Microkit that arrived safe and
        > sound today. Quite historic.
        >
        > I have uploaded a set of images of the new-to-me COSMAC Microkit. It has
        > an SSTC processor card (later renamed the 1801, which is the 2-chip version
        > of the subsequent 1802 of ELF fame). You can see from the various date
        > codes that the chips are from mid 1974-early 1975. RAM is 2102.
        >
        > A find like this is the kind of stuff that makes this hobby rewarding to
        > me, discovering a new historical relic of the earliest microcomputers which
        > had until now been previously undocumented. Although of course 10 more
        > will show up because that's how the world works ... but that's not
        > important... however as of this writing no other Microkits have been
        > documented on the web other than the article I scanned and posted on my
        > site in 2009..Given there's a ROM card, RAM, and an I/O card, this appears
        > to be a full 3K computer.
        >
        > Funny I was just saying at the TCF to Bill Dromg. that I did not want to
        > dive into the 1802 processor because I was too busy, famous last words.
        >
        > NOTE - The Kit was produced in Florida apparently and not N.J.!
        >
        > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/RCA/COSMAC/

        Great stuff! Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to see this machine in person.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
            Bill,

            That is really cool. Are you going to try to get it going? Do you have any software?

            The group of us folks working on SCELBI's are very lucky in that SCELBI consulting published most of their software in book form. SCELBAL BASIC has been digitized a few years back, and I'm working on digitizing and running some of their other published programs on reproduction hardware. It's been a real trip. We think that some of this stuff hasn't been run on physical hardware (or otherwise) in 25 or more years.

            regards,
            Mike W.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
              Mike,

              > That is really cool. Are you going to try to get it going? Do you have
              any software?

              Just got it, I have not even tested the power yet. .. I have this Scelbi
              kit to get started first!

              > The group of us folks working on SCELBI's are very lucky in that SCELBI
              consulting published most of their software in book form. SCELBAL BASIC
              has been digitized a few years back, and I'm working on digitizing and
              running some of their other published programs on reproduction hardware.
              It's been a real trip. We think that some of this stuff hasn't been run on
              physical hardware (or otherwise) in 25 or more years.

              Basically I picked this COSMAC up because it was now or never. What to do
              and when to do it to be determined. I will be bringing both the Scelbi and
              the COSMAC to the MARCH open house most likely.

              Bill
            • Bill Dromgoole
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
                Bill, do you remember talking about the MicroKit 1 in 2009?
                Look at message #14763 when you corresponded with Joyce Wiesbecker about it on
                this forum.
                I think your subconscious mind kicked in and made you buy this.

                Begin Quote
                " You're right about the Microkit 1. It was RCA's hardware development kit
                targeted at design engineers looking to embed a microprocessor into their
                equipment. I never even saw one of them, only read the product brochure,
                because - Man!!! - that thing cost thousands of dollars, and RCA made its
                employees buy those kits at full price! That was an RCA Somerville project, so
                my father had no input. My father was building the prototypes (in our basement)
                for all the other computers I mentioned, and his group at the Sarnoff Labs was
                developing those models, so he got to bring home one of each of the final
                production models. (Yes, every aspect of the 1802 - microprocessor, computers,
                videogame, and kits - was a skunkworks project.)

                You really have a collectible in that Microkit 1, Bill. It was the
                predecessor to the VIP. Dad pitched the VIP as a cheaper, more accessible (and
                therefore better selling tool to OEMs) than the Microkit 1. But it was also the
                only way he could get RCA to offer a hobbyist computer since management was dead
                set against the idea :). Between the limited production run, the high cost, and
                the fact that most of them were the property of the employer, not the engineer,
                your Microkit 1 is probably one of the rarest production model computers still
                around. (Even I had forgotten it existed until you mentioned it!)
                Congratulations on your rare treasure!

                Joyce"
                End Quote.

                Bill Drom

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Yes, I was the one who brought up the COSMAC Microkit in 2009 when I
                  discovered that they existed from a magazine article (on my site). Joyce
                  appears to have misunderstood me at the time in that I did not actually
                  have a Microkit, I was only asking her if *she* had one...but perhaps she
                  can read the future.

                  I plan to sell my Steinberger Bass (anyone interested?) to pay for the
                  computer, because I could not justify the expense otherwise. I figured
                  this is a once in a lifetime thing and I am in the "go for it!" camp when
                  it comes to things like that. And I never play that bass anyway. :-)

                  Bill

                  -------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 18, 2013

                    > In this case, if you had an inverted bus, it would make sense to store
                    the ROM as inverted so you didn't have to put another buffer chip on the
                    bus. If you're trying to disassemble it, just run it through a program to
                    flip the bits.

                    -Thanks Dave-
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 18, 2013

                      > > In this case, if you had an inverted bus, it would make sense to store
                      > the ROM as inverted so you didn't have to put another buffer chip on the
                      > bus. If you're trying to disassemble it, just run it through a program to
                      > flip the bits.
                      > >

                      > -Thanks Dave-

                      I don't think Bill has determined that the bus is inverted.

                      I observed the dump that Bill posted didn't make sense as 1802 machine code until I guessed that the bits might be inverted.

                      I am only guessing that the bus is inverted and wish to advise Bill to look out for that.

                      I could be totally out to lunch, since it is an 1801 chip set.

                      :)J
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 19, 2013
                        When I get back from a brief vacation I will look up the commands from their
                        HEX values, and/or convert to an Intel record that would be easier to
                        assemble. I believe I have the instruction set in my
                        vintagecomputer.net/RCA/COSMAC directory, or elsewhere. If assembly is
                        possible. No way to know about whether inversion is necessary yet.