TCF was excellent

  • ahm
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2005
      I had an excellent time at TCF this weekend.

      I've never done a computer display before but I had a fantastic time.
      It was great to meet some of the people whose names I'd only ever
      seen in email, and you are the certainly some of the friendlist
      people I've ever met.

      I think we got a great reaction from the crowd. I can't tell you
      how many times I heard the word "wow". As in "Wow, I used to have
      one of those!" or "Wow, remember this one?". I even heard a kid say to
      his friend "Wow, check out the old-school hardware!".
      A couple of times, I'm sure I said "Wow, it sure is hot in here" :)

      On Saturday, a few of us were interviewed by a reporter from a Chinese
      newspaper. I asked if I could read the article when it came out.
      He smiled politely and told me that it would be in Chinese.
      I took that as a "no". :)

      We also had a visit by Emmanuel Goldstein, publisher of 2600 magazine,
      and his entourage. They seemed especially interested in Bill
      Degnan's display of Commodore systems. I wonder if we'll get mentioned
      on his radio show on Wednesday night? http://www.2600.com/offthehook/

      And it was great to finally meet Herb Johnson, aka "Dr. S-100".
      Even though I do very little with S-100, I've been reading his stuff for years.
      Naturally, I thought he'd be much older. :)

      All in all, I think we had a great show. I know at least one of
      us got some leads for more systems to be rescued. And I saw alot
      of visitors with flyers, so this mailing list will probably start
      to grow.

      Finally, I want to thank Evan for handling the details involved
      in getting this all set up. To paraphrase the movie "Stripes",
      I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest bestest buddy
      and big toe, Evan Koblentz.

      -- Andy
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2005
        I wish I'd known of his visit... oh well... details of the radio show are at http://www.2600.com/offthehook/ .

        Andy: thanks for the botched compliment.  :)   (Maybe you can email him to ask, or beg, for our inclusion?)

        Our list is already growing.  There are now 60 members.  Holy hard drive, Batman!

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2005

          It just occurred to me that in all likelihood loads of donations could have come as a result of having one vendor in the flea market, with a sign saying "WANTED: OLD PUTERS AND STUFF!!!". Just throught the casual contacts that I made, about 4 sources of stuff were made available.

           It's too bad that they charge so much for their spaces. I bet that lots of people never even made it into the Student Center (I had a problem finding out where you guys were!). If a few people chipped in and say rented 2 spaces - hardly enough though - a partial exhibit could be set up. Would draw lots of attention though. Most people go there for the flea market.

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2005
            That's definitely something we can consider for next time.

            Although I think we had good mind share, due to being featured on TCF's homepage.

            Now, on the issue of the show's outdoor signage in general... well it sucked... (sorry Erik W., I know you're still on this list)...

            It just occurred to me that in all likelihood loads of donations could have come as a result of having one vendor in the flea market, with a sign saying "WANTED: OLD PUTERS AND STUFF!!!". Just throught the casual contacts that I made, about 4 sources of stuff were made available.

             It's too bad that they charge so much for their spaces. I bet that lots of people never even made it into the Student Center (I had a problem finding out where you guys were!). If a few people chipped in and say rented 2 spaces - hardly enough though - a partial exhibit could be set up. Would draw lots of attention though. Most people go there for the flea market.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Erik Wendt
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2005
              Evan,

              I know it sucked! I was p*ssed about it and will take it up with ExCom. There are a number of things that need discussing...

              Regards,

              Erik