Re: IMSAI 8080

  • DanielB
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 4, 2013

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "DanielB" <danlb_2000@> wrote:
      > > Yeah, I even went as far as grounding the resistors to the LEDs to be sure they light, and they did, so it looks like it's the 8212.
      >
      > Good move! 8212 is it.
      >
      > > I have a Technical Design Systems system monitor board that I want to get running next, but I am waiting for my order of replacement tantalums to come in before I proceed on that. I also have a disk controller that I have not been able to find any documentation on so I am in the process of tracing out the circuit for that board and I will probably dump the EPROM to see figure out how it's software works.
      > >

      > Very cool, reverse engineering! It doesn't get better than that!
      > Is there a main controller chip it's based on?
      >
      > :)J

      No drive controller on the board. It's a pretty simple board with an S2350 USRT for handling the serial data an EPROM and the rest is just discrete logic. I was having a hard time finding information on the chip or the drive I have until I found an article in an old Byte magazine showing how to build an S100 interface board for this exact drive using the S2350 chip. This article will help a lot.
    • DanielB
      Message 61 of 61 , May 14, 2013
        Yep, front panel is working good now. One odd thing I have run into is that from the Zapple monitor I can write to the SMB's onboard RAM, but I cannot write to the RAM on the memory board but I can write to the memory board from the front panel.

        Dan