Re: [midatlanticretro] History of cell phones

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
      > Reality check: Mobile radio phones had been around for decades when Cooper
      > led a team that made ** a ** cellular phone, just as Bell Labs was also
      > doing. Bell Labs, one could argue, developed something far more important --
      > the concept of cellular ** networks ** -- three decades pre-Cooper.

      Motorola deserves the credit. The Bell System dropped the ball (or
      probably had the ball stripped from them, thanks to the landline
      crowd). Actually getting the cell network to function properly in the
      real world was *far* more difficult that coming up with the idea.

      Anyway, most of the concepts of the cell network were up and running
      in 1943, as part of the Allied VHF radio fighter control system (SCS-2
      and SCS-3, I think). Not handheld telephones, mind you, but 50 pound
      aircraft radios.

      The Germans probably also had a comparable system, but that info is
      probably lost.

      --
      Will
    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
        On Apr 4, 2013, at 10:13 AM, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

        > > Reality check: Mobile radio phones had been around for decades when Cooper
        > > led a team that made ** a ** cellular phone, just as Bell Labs was also
        > > doing. Bell Labs, one could argue, developed something far more important --
        > > the concept of cellular ** networks ** -- three decades pre-Cooper.
        >
        > Motorola deserves the credit. The Bell System dropped the ball (or
        > probably had the ball stripped from them, thanks to the landline
        > crowd). Actually getting the cell network to function properly in the
        > real world was *far* more difficult that coming up with the idea.

        Which is something the cell network operators have been finding
        true of OFDM now that they're trying to deploy LTE. It's a
        great *idea*, but making it work in the real world with all
        that pesky multipath interference is... challenging. :-)

        - Dave