Re: [midatlanticretro] Rca Cosmac1801 microkit on ebay

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      On 04/02/2013 09:13 PM, B Degnan wrote:
      > Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      \> I could not resist! Will bring to may open house ... a holy grail system
      per my website. Pics when avail.

      SWEET!! That's on my list too. Please post pics!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • billdeg
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013

        > On 04/02/2013 09:13 PM, B Degnan wrote:

        > \> I could not resist! Will bring to may open house ... a holy grail system
        > per my website. Pics when avail.
        >
        > SWEET!! That's on my list too. Please post pics!
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

        We had a thread about the COSMAC and Joseph Weisbecker in 2009, and at the time I had found two Electronics Design Systems Journal articles about the RCA 1801 (two chip ancestor version of 1802). One was a dry article to compare and contrast early micro processors

        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/1975-microprocessor_diagrams.pdf

        And another about very early computers that used microprocessors (before the Altair btw)
        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=280

        SO when I saw the Ebay auction I was quite amazed someone actually had one of these COSMACs. The Ebay seller I bought the "RCA COSMAC Microkit" used my site as a reference. I hate it when my web site is the only source of information on a computer or vintage historic computer item ... nothing else available on the web.

        The Ebay COSMAC appears to be an originally-named "COSMAC" processor version, not the renamed CDP-1801s that you'd see in the 1976 trainer version.

        I hope he includes some materials with the computer, he is from NJ and mentioned he had some knowledge of the providence of the RCA company. Stay tuned.