Re: Amstrad 8256 Available

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 3:55 PM

      > So far no one has expressed interest...shall I tell the person "pass"
      >
      > > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I got an inquiry through my web site, I do not want an Amstrad
      > > > 8256...anyone interested let me know
      > > >
      > > > One amstrad 8256
      > > > 1 daisy wheel printer that came with the amstrad
      > > > 1 amstrad keyboard
      > > > All connecting cords between above items
      > > > 2 probably very dried out printer cartridges

      I'm not a fan of Amstrads, but Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit. I don't think MARCH has too many printers on display, they may be spread out among several exhibits. 21st C. people simply don't know about impact-class printers, they have only seen inkjets and laser-toner-transfer (and thermal) printers.

      MARCH probably has some daisy-wheels, but if this setup works, it could be a nice and inexpensive exhibit for desktop publishing. Put next to it, an older system (apple II? C64?) with Epson dot-matrix printer; also a Mac with a laserprinter.

      (shrug) It's not the worst exhibit idea, and it's interactive, and if anything breaks in use it can be replaced. It can also demonstrate BASIC programming, you can print biorhythm charts! ;) My H8 with BASIC went over well at TCF, without a printer.

      Just an idea, and not all that April-foolish.

      Herb
      retrotechnology.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 4:07 PM
        >> Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit.

        I might've made that post too real-sounding. :) It was meant as a joke...
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 8:31 PM

          > >> Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit.
          >
          > I might've made that post too real-sounding. :) It was meant as a joke...

          Yes, yes, the Old Man got the joke. But read what I wrote, consider what I said. Also note a recent post: yet another person is offering a computer plus daisywheel printer. Something is trying to get our attention ..... Oh, and Claude Kagan said to include a Dvorak keyboard in the word processing exhibit.

          Herb Johnson
          - sent from my Olympia typewriter