Can you help?

  • tomgtracy
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
      I was searching the web and I found this group, but I am not sure if I am in the right place. I was a sports reporter for the Phila Inquirer before I retired. I had a bad leg after an accident overseas that made driving difficult. Back then you didn't have cars with hand pedals. Way back when my son was in college he said I needed a computer for my correspondence and to work from home. For about 10 years I was mailing my articles to my editor after printing from this computer my son put in the den. He got a *great* deal on a 8/A 500. Now that I finally got a modern computer I don't really need this 8/A 500. I also have the Decwriter printer. Still works great but it's loud. Probably too old, but maybe one of you old timers could still use it.

      Thank you

      Russ "Tom" Tracy
    • billdeg
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, tomgtracy <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I was searching the web and I found this group, but I am not sure if I am in the right place. I was a sports reporter for the Phila Inquirer before I retired. I had a bad leg after an accident overseas that made driving difficult. Back then you didn't have cars with hand pedals. Way back when my son was in college he said I needed a computer for my correspondence and to work from home. For about 10 years I was mailing my articles to my editor after printing from this computer my son put in the den. He got a *great* deal on a 8/A 500. Now that I finally got a modern computer I don't really need this 8/A 500. I also have the Decwriter printer. Still works great but it's loud. Probably too old, but maybe one of you old timers could still use it.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Russ "Tom" Tracy

        Tom,
        Can you play games on this? Probably this system is too old, too obsolete for gaming, which is our focus. We only do game systems like C64 and Atari. Maybe you could try a Digital Equipment Corporation group or the Smithsonian.
        Bill
      • tomgtracy
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
          That's too bad, I guess I will just get my son to bring to recycle. Thanks any way.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
            >> That's too bad, I guess I will just get my son to bring to recycle. Thanks any way.

            Heh ... who'll fall for * this * one. Good job Bill. :)
          • dfnr2
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
              I figure this is almost certainly an April Fools prank, but I personally would rather be the fool than take a 1 in 1000 chance of seeing a classic machine scrapped. So, if this is a joke, it worked!

              But if this is at all serious, please contact me!

              Dave

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
                Me too, I thought it was a joke and scared the guy away. Oh well

                > I figure this is almost certainly an April Fools prank, but I personally
                would rather be the fool than take a 1 in 1000 chance of seeing a classic
                machine scrapped. So, if this is a joke, it worked!

                > But if this is at all serious, please contact me!
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, tomgtracy <no_reply@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I was searching the web and I found this group, but I am not sure if I
                am in the right place. I was a sports reporter for the Phila Inquirer
                before I retired. I had a bad leg after an accident overseas that made
                driving difficult. Back then you didn't have cars with hand pedals. Way
                back when my son was in college he said I needed a computer for my
                correspondence and to work from home. For about 10 years I was mailing my
                articles to my editor after printing from this computer my son put in the
                den. He got a *great* deal on a 8/A 500. Now that I finally got a modern
                computer I don't really need this 8/A 500. I also have the Decwriter
                printer. Still works great but it's loud. Probably too old, but maybe one
                of you old timers could still use it.

                > > Thank you
                > >
                > > Russ "Tom" Tracy

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                  From:B. Degnan <billdeg@...>

                  > Me too, I thought it was a joke and scared the guy away.  Oh well

                  That was a april fools Joke..

                  What is the probability that a person who has an 8/A would post about giving it away free and then after one reply decide to recycle it?

                  I have better odds wining the lottery.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                    It was in fact an April fools' joke...right??

                    On 04/01/2013 09:06 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                    > Me too, I thought it was a joke and scared the guy away. Oh well

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                      On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:27:37AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

                      > It was in fact an April fools' joke...right??

                      If nobody has come forward by now I suspect not. The message isn't that
                      different from ones I get occasionally through my web site.

                      Can the list admin get his real email address to check? It appears its
                      blocked from normal list members.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                        It *is* an April Fool's joke.

                        > On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:27:37AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
                        > >
                        > > It was in fact an April fools' joke...right??
                        > >
                        > If nobody has come forward by now I suspect not. The message isn't that
                        > different from ones I get occasionally through my web site.
                        >
                        > Can the list admin get his real email address to check? It appears its
                        > blocked from normal list members.
                        >
                        > > On 04/01/2013 09:06 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                        > > > Me too, I thought it was a joke and scared the guy away. Oh well

                      • Wesley Furr
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                          I've seen someone act that way with regards to a camera (in a camera
                          collector's group)...and I think it was a sale offer for a relatively rare
                          model, which would be more worthwhile to them than a donation. So...it
                          could indeed happen...there are some quirky folks out there in the world.
                          Thankfully, this was just an April Fool's joke...

                          Wesley