Re: [midatlanticretro] Amstrad 8256 Available

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 6:29 AM
      I have Bill D's old 8256, so I can make system disks if someone gets it and has blanks.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 7:05 AM
        So far no one has expressed interest...shall I tell the person "pass"

        > I have Bill D's old 8256, so I can make system disks if someone gets it
        and has blanks.

        > Thanks,
        > Jonathan
        >
        > On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:35:54 -0400
        > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I got an inquiry through my web site, I do not want an Amstrad
        > > 8256...anyone interested let me know and I will pass your info on to
        the
        > > person who sent me the inquiry. I have no info other than the person's

        > > name and email.
        > > Bill
        > >

        > > One amstrad 8256
        > > 1 daisy wheel printer that came with the amstrad
        > > 1 amstrad keyboard
        > > All connecting cords between above items
        > > 2 probably very dried out printer cartridges

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 3:55 PM

          > So far no one has expressed interest...shall I tell the person "pass"
          >
          > > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I got an inquiry through my web site, I do not want an Amstrad
          > > > 8256...anyone interested let me know
          > > >
          > > > One amstrad 8256
          > > > 1 daisy wheel printer that came with the amstrad
          > > > 1 amstrad keyboard
          > > > All connecting cords between above items
          > > > 2 probably very dried out printer cartridges

          I'm not a fan of Amstrads, but Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit. I don't think MARCH has too many printers on display, they may be spread out among several exhibits. 21st C. people simply don't know about impact-class printers, they have only seen inkjets and laser-toner-transfer (and thermal) printers.

          MARCH probably has some daisy-wheels, but if this setup works, it could be a nice and inexpensive exhibit for desktop publishing. Put next to it, an older system (apple II? C64?) with Epson dot-matrix printer; also a Mac with a laserprinter.

          (shrug) It's not the worst exhibit idea, and it's interactive, and if anything breaks in use it can be replaced. It can also demonstrate BASIC programming, you can print biorhythm charts! ;) My H8 with BASIC went over well at TCF, without a printer.

          Just an idea, and not all that April-foolish.

          Herb
          retrotechnology.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 4:07 PM
            >> Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit.

            I might've made that post too real-sounding. :) It was meant as a joke...
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 8:31 PM

              > >> Evan's "change the exhibits" post got me thinking a bit.
              >
              > I might've made that post too real-sounding. :) It was meant as a joke...

              Yes, yes, the Old Man got the joke. But read what I wrote, consider what I said. Also note a recent post: yet another person is offering a computer plus daisywheel printer. Something is trying to get our attention ..... Oh, and Claude Kagan said to include a Dvorak keyboard in the word processing exhibit.

              Herb Johnson
              - sent from my Olympia typewriter