Some photos uploaded / important club update

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 7:39 PM
      I put six photos from this weekend into the files section of our Yahoo group
      (photos taken by Mark Dodel, who is our OS/2 expert. Mark brought with him
      an entire OS/2 collection. The collection will reside at our museum except
      for when he takes part of it on tour for the Warpstock event a few times
      each year.)

      The photos contain:
      - Me and Andy with Mr. Grabbe
      - The five esteemed (ha!) leaders: Jim, Andy, Bill, John, me (wishing that I
      had more hair and / or were taller!)
      - Part of Frank O'Brien's Apollo display in the adjacent museum room
      - Jim and John admiring Bill's Commodore posters while I'm caught off-guard
      by the camera
      - Half of one wall of our room, showing the display case loaned to us by
      NJARC. On top are my Grid Compass 1101 and Epson HX-20, inside are a
      Comodore 64, Atari 400, my //c, and a Mac, with a Tektronix 'scope on the
      right side. The C-64, 400, Mac, and 'scope are from the club/Grabbe
      collection.
      - A picture of the ceremony in which the Army officially gives InfoAge the
      facility and even a symbolic fake "key" to the place (even though volunteers
      have been working here for several years already!) ... From L > R are Mike
      Ruance, chairman of InfoAge's board; Fred Carl, the CEO/prez and our main
      point man for everything InfoAge; the mayor of Wall Township (she's sitting
      behind Fred), Bob Judge, of the model railroad group and a long-time
      volunteer; a state-level politician; and an Army guy.

      The best part of the event yesterday was seeing the reactions from local
      townspeople (mostly senior citizens but a handful of younger people and also
      children.) No one seemed too impressed at our demo back in August last
      year, but I guess we did a better job this time. Many people seemed very
      impressed this time with our display and even moreso when we told them
      "we're making a whole museum here" ... Several people also volunteered to
      give us their old computers and to pass on word of our VCF to all their
      nerdy friends. After the event finished, 14 or 15 people went to dinner
      (paid for by InfoAge) which was a nice opportunity to get to know the other
      club's leaders in a non-work environment.

      Now that April 1 is past, we can concentrate on VCF; the upcoming Trenton
      show will be very simple for us.

      Post-VCF, we'll re-examine the "What now?" question. By then our club will
      basically be settled as an organization -- with logistical experience,
      hopefully some monetary savings, and a museum well underway. And since the
      weather will be warm for at least another five months post-VCF, I'm thinking
      it's road trip time! We should organize informal get-togethers in places
      beside InfoAge, as has been the call for a while. So we can plan things for
      the NY/CT area, the MD/VA/DC area, and the central PA area (hello lonely Dan
      in Pittsburgh!) ... I'd also like to plan that Boston road trip which we
      discussed last year. We should also devise a solid plan for how we'll
      organize the InfoAge museum -- let's start thinking about how we might
      organize the collections into themed sections, and then we can make some
      committees in charge of each section.

      One more thing: this isn't final yet, but Jim and Bill and I (a while ago)
      discussed how we will keep track of official members. What I think we'll do
      is make a quarterly payment schedule. So anyone who joins in Jan-March pays
      $20, Apri-June = 15, July-Sept. = 10, and Oct.-Dec. 5. That way won't have
      to keep track of when everyone's year is done. We'll just put out a fresh
      call for money starting in late December or so. Consider MARCH part of your
      holiday gift-giving budget! Ideally this will remain as a mere suggested
      donation on our part, sort of like PBS or (more appropriately considering
      the audience) shareware -- "If you like what you get here, then please help
      us pay for it." We are not requiring dues per se, but we'll continue to
      offer perks whenever possible to those who donate. That seems like a good
      and fair way to run this club in my opinion.

      - Evan
    • madodel
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 8:02 PM
        Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > One more thing: this isn't final yet, but Jim and Bill and I (a while ago)
        > discussed how we will keep track of official members. What I think we'll do
        > is make a quarterly payment schedule. So anyone who joins in Jan-March pays
        > $20, Apri-June = 15, July-Sept. = 10, and Oct.-Dec. 5. That way won't have
        > to keep track of when everyone's year is done. We'll just put out a fresh
        > call for money starting in late December or so. Consider MARCH part of your
        > holiday gift-giving budget! Ideally this will remain as a mere suggested
        > donation on our part, sort of like PBS or (more appropriately considering
        > the audience) shareware -- "If you like what you get here, then please help
        > us pay for it." We are not requiring dues per se, but we'll continue to
        > offer perks whenever possible to those who donate. That seems like a good
        > and fair way to run this club in my opinion.

        One thing I noticed wandering around the facility was that many of the
        other groups (like the railroaders and the radioguys) had a 3 panel
        pamphlet with information about themselves and why/how to join. March
        should consider making one as well. They seemed to be very similar so
        maybe InfoAge has a template for this. I know March had the single handout
        sheet but the tri-fold could be placed with all the others in the main lobby.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        http://www.warpstock.org

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 8:17 PM
          >>> One thing I noticed wandering around the facility was that many of the other groups (like the railroaders and the radioguys) had a 3 panel pamphlet with information about  themselves and why/how to join ... maybe InfoAge has a template for this.

          That's correct. Every group was asked to make one at the last board meeting. I didn't have time so I made those flyers instead. I'll make the three-folder brochure version soon. Also, we'll get one of those nice information holders for the door of our preview room. Then we can have specific info about how to contribute computers to us, how to learn about the hobby in general, etc.

          yet, but Jim and Bill and I (a while ago)
          > discussed how we will keep
          track of official members.  What I think we'll do
          > is make a
          quarterly payment schedule.  So anyone who joins in Jan-March pays

          $20, Apri-June = 15, July-Sept. = 10, and Oct.-Dec.  5.  That way won't have
          > to keep track of when everyone's year is done.  We'll
          just put out a fresh
          > call for money starting in late December or
          so.  Consider MARCH part of your
          > holiday gift-giving budget!
          Ideally this will remain as a mere suggested
          > donation on our part, sort
          of like PBS or (more appropriately considering
          > the audience) shareware
          -- "If you like what you get here, then please help
          > us pay for
          it."  We are not requiring dues per se, but we'll continue to
          > offer
          perks whenever possible to those who donate.  That seems like a good
          > and fair way to run this club in my opinion.

          One thing I noticed wandering around the facility was that many of the
          other groups (like the railroaders and the radioguys) had a 3 panel
          pamphlet with information about  themselves and why/how to join.  March
          should consider making one as well.  They seemed to be very similar so
          maybe InfoAge has a template for this.  I know March had the single handout
          sheet but the tri-fold could be placed with all the others in the main lobby.

          Mark

          --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          http://www.warpstock.org

          http://www.os2voice.org

          democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of
          Investigation, 1938
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2 8:21 PM
            Mark,

            That's an excellent idea. It should be fairly easy to turn Evan's FAQ into an
            info brochure. Word or any desktop publishing program has the needed
            template.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 8:23 PM
              Evan,

              Why not put photos in the photo section? It makes them so much easier to view
              with the nice thumbnails...

              Jim

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2 8:32 PM
                Because of the file size limit.  It's just easier this way.

                --- Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > for
                > the NY/CT area, the
                MD/VA/DC area, and the central PA area (hello lonely
                > Dan
                > in
                Pittsburgh!) ... I'd also like to plan that Boston road trip which we

                discussed last year.  We should also devise a solid plan for how we'll
                > organize the InfoAge museum -- let's start thinking about how we
                might
                > organize the collections into themed sections, and then we can
                make some
                > committees in charge of each section.
                >
                > One
                more thing: this isn't final yet, but Jim and Bill and I (a while ago)

                discussed how we will keep track of official members.  What I think we'll
                > do
                > is make a quarterly payment schedule.  So anyone
                10, and Oct.-Dec.  5.  That way won't