Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum change

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 3:56 AM
      Evan,

      I recently had a discussion with one of the Senior Managers at MOSI
      (www.mosi.org.uk) about "installations" in the Museum. So things that
      "interact" with the visitor. He made the point that and it kind of stuck
      in my head, that as well as telling a logical and consist ant story, ,
      that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make some
      kind of obvious "promise of reward" to the visitor. So when they see an
      object, they have an instant expectation it will deliver something, and
      that we needed to consider what that was...

      I hope this helps ...

      Dave
      G4UGM

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 4:06 AM
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

        >I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on=20
        >what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
        >
        >So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's=20
        >focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
        >
        >Thoughts?

        You should start by removing all the two bit Micro$oft stuff first! :)

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 6:12 AM
          I say we focus on video games and nothing but video games because that is the only things computers are good for.
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 6:29 AM
            >> I recently had a discussion with one of the Senior Managers at MOSI (www.mosi.org.uk) about "installations" in the Museum.

            Every year there's at least one person who falls for my non-subtle April Fools message. :)
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 6:51 AM
              On 04/01/2013 06:56 AM,:
              > that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make some

              Evan, maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of
              the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge.

              Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.

              http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
              http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 7:00 AM
                >> maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge. Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.

                I like it! But the MARCHins who work with me behind-the-scenes, in storage, etc. might pay NOT to experience any more. :)
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1 7:27 AM
                  >> that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make
                  >>some
                  >
                  >Evan, maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some
                  >of
                  >the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge.

                  Evan, I thought it arrived yesterday...
                  Neil, Were you thinking OS/2 or Win95 from floppy.....

                  Dave
                  G4UGM
                  >Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.
                  >
                  >--
                  >Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@...
                  >http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  >http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  >Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

                • Neil Cherry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1 7:33 AM
                    On 04/01/2013 10:00 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > >> maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of the exhibits?
                    > They would gain some first hand knowledge. Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.
                    >
                    > I like it! But the MARCHins who work with me behind-the-scenes, in storage, etc. might pay
                    > NOT to experience any more. :)

                    Wow, win-win! (please don't make me say that again)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1 7:36 AM
                      On 04/01/2013 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:

> [...]

                      I thought the candy button paper tape idea was a really good idea. It would
                      give them a better understanding of the true hacker spirit of the times.

                      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1 8:34 AM
                        At 4/1/2013 02:44 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        >I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
                        >
                        >So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
                        >
                        >Thoughts?

                        Definitely an exhibit of vintage iPad models. There's a lot of nostalgia people have for the first computer they learned not to program on.

                        - Ken