Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum change

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
      Also: Happy 4/1. :)
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
        I'm ok with that. Remember to include a vintage "android" exhibit since we all know that Google is currently rewriting the history books to make it that Android was the first successful program to run on the Altair and that Bill Gates and Paul Allen stole Android Basic from a 2 year old Larry Page back in 75'. He hand assembled it using candy button paper (its quality inspired by dirty diapers), But Bill Gates walked away with it and sold the paper to MITS as Micro-Soft Basic after punch holes where the missing candy buttons were and then eating the extras for himself.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
        >
        > So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
        >
        > Thoughts?

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
          Evan,

          I recently had a discussion with one of the Senior Managers at MOSI
          (www.mosi.org.uk) about "installations" in the Museum. So things that
          "interact" with the visitor. He made the point that and it kind of stuck
          in my head, that as well as telling a logical and consist ant story, ,
          that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make some
          kind of obvious "promise of reward" to the visitor. So when they see an
          object, they have an instant expectation it will deliver something, and
          that we needed to consider what that was...

          I hope this helps ...

          Dave
          G4UGM

          >I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on
          >what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
          >
          >So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's
          >focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
          >
          >Thoughts?

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
            "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

            >I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on=20
            >what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
            >
            >So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's=20
            >focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
            >
            >Thoughts?

            You should start by removing all the two bit Micro$oft stuff first! :)

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
              I say we focus on video games and nothing but video games because that is the only things computers are good for.
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                >> I recently had a discussion with one of the Senior Managers at MOSI (www.mosi.org.uk) about "installations" in the Museum.

                Every year there's at least one person who falls for my non-subtle April Fools message. :)
              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                  On 04/01/2013 06:56 AM,:
                  > that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make some

                  Evan, maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of
                  the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge.

                  Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.

                  http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                  http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                    >> maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge. Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.

                    I like it! But the MARCHins who work with me behind-the-scenes, in storage, etc. might pay NOT to experience any more. :)
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                      >> that when the average visitor sees an "installation" it should make
                      >>some
                      >
                      >Evan, maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some
                      >of
                      >the exhibits? They would gain some first hand knowledge.

                      Evan, I thought it arrived yesterday...
                      Neil, Were you thinking OS/2 or Win95 from floppy.....

                      Dave
                      G4UGM
                      >Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.
                      >
                      >--
                      >Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@...
                      >http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                      >http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                      >Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

                    • Neil Cherry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                        On 04/01/2013 10:00 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > >> maybe we should charge folks for experiencing an install for some of the exhibits?
                        > They would gain some first hand knowledge. Seemed to work pretty well for Mr Sawyer.
                        >
                        > I like it! But the MARCHins who work with me behind-the-scenes, in storage, etc. might pay
                        > NOT to experience any more. :)

                        Wow, win-win! (please don't make me say that again)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                          On 04/01/2013 10:27 AM, Dave wrote:

> [...]

                          I thought the candy button paper tape idea was a really good idea. It would
                          give them a better understanding of the true hacker spirit of the times.

                          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                        • Ken
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 1, 2013
                            At 4/1/2013 02:44 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            >I was thinking that our museum exhibits really need to focus more on what the general public values and less on what just we geeks value.
                            >
                            >So, we should start by rebuilding the consumer micro exhibit. Let's focus a lot more on Apple, and remove all the other 8-bit stuff.
                            >
                            >Thoughts?

                            Definitely an exhibit of vintage iPad models. There's a lot of nostalgia people have for the first computer they learned not to program on.

                            - Ken