Hackerspace in Southern VA, was: Semi-OT: history of phone phreaking

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
      > The hackerspace is a whole other deal. Basically I funded anything that
      > wasn't paid by members, members didn't pay that often, my employer has
      > only been cutting partial paychecks for the past 3+ years, and others are
      > trying to claw into the membership and hackerspace idea for their
      > for-profit places. So the whole thing is a huge mess, and I'm kind of
      > burned out on it all for a bit. There is some thoughts about taking it
      > private and just really driving towards making new things.

      Did Jen/polishsputnik et al ever get anything off the ground in Blacksburg? Last time I talked to her, VT's CS department was interested in helping fund it.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
          >> he should clarify that he was talking about an electronic/digital computer.

          He did. Specifically he meant a transistor computer, which TRADIC was, and which the new signaling system was.
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
            Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
            he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

            He also said he's glad to speak at VCF East 9.1 next spring, pending
            schedules.

            Related: I found this two-part article about Bell Labs' earlier
            electromechanical computers: http://tinyurl.com/cjmh9fp.
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
              > Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
              > he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

              Update ... he did as he promised, and gave me a hat-tip:
              http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php