Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Semi-OT: history of phone phreaking

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30 10:49 PM
      >> Now that the significance of that device is clear

      It wasn't * not * clear.

      >> perhaps MARCH will laminate or frame the Novation poster I can bring?

      Sure.

      One day, when we get more space, there are * many * things we can add to our DIY/homebrew exhibit. Bell Labs was of course an NJ-centric organization, and we need to acknowledge that in the museum. (I have an idea of how to do so * without * waiting until we get more space. Stay tuned...)
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30 11:30 PM
        >>> Whoa, I just found a significant factual mistake in the book.

        Finished reading the book. I still highly recommend it, despite the mistake about Bell Labs computer experience, and despite some storytelling repetition in a few of the middle chapters.

        I emailed Lapsley to compliment him, politely inform him of the error (and offer to put him in contact with some TRADIC people, re: were they consulted by the telephone network engineers?) and invite him to next year's VCF East (he's already done VCF West and HOPE).

        G'night all.
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31 6:28 AM
          > The hackerspace is a whole other deal. Basically I funded anything that
          > wasn't paid by members, members didn't pay that often, my employer has
          > only been cutting partial paychecks for the past 3+ years, and others are
          > trying to claw into the membership and hackerspace idea for their
          > for-profit places. So the whole thing is a huge mess, and I'm kind of
          > burned out on it all for a bit. There is some thoughts about taking it
          > private and just really driving towards making new things.

          Did Jen/polishsputnik et al ever get anything off the ground in Blacksburg? Last time I talked to her, VT's CS department was interested in helping fund it.

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31 7:47 AM
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31 7:58 AM
              >> he should clarify that he was talking about an electronic/digital computer.

              He did. Specifically he meant a transistor computer, which TRADIC was, and which the new signaling system was.
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31 12:43 PM
                Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
                he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

                He also said he's glad to speak at VCF East 9.1 next spring, pending
                schedules.

                Related: I found this two-part article about Bell Labs' earlier
                electromechanical computers: http://tinyurl.com/cjmh9fp.
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31 6:07 PM
                  > Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
                  > he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

                  Update ... he did as he promised, and gave me a hat-tip:
                  http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php