Re: Semi-OT: history of phone phreaking

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" wrote:
      > While reading this book (I can't put it down!), I keep thinking, "Our museum should have a blue box on display."

      I stupidly traded away the contents of the box
      but I donated the empty box for a Novation Apple Cat modem
      which did blue-box and other tricks:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novation_CAT

      Now that the significance of that device is clear, perhaps MARCH will laminate or frame the Novation poster I can bring?

      So that links the Apple ][, Woz and phone phreaking all together.
      As well as the 3B1/Unix PC per Degnan's HOPE exhibit.

      -- jeff jonas
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
        >> Now that the significance of that device is clear

        It wasn't * not * clear.

        >> perhaps MARCH will laminate or frame the Novation poster I can bring?

        Sure.

        One day, when we get more space, there are * many * things we can add to our DIY/homebrew exhibit. Bell Labs was of course an NJ-centric organization, and we need to acknowledge that in the museum. (I have an idea of how to do so * without * waiting until we get more space. Stay tuned...)
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
          >>> Whoa, I just found a significant factual mistake in the book.

          Finished reading the book. I still highly recommend it, despite the mistake about Bell Labs computer experience, and despite some storytelling repetition in a few of the middle chapters.

          I emailed Lapsley to compliment him, politely inform him of the error (and offer to put him in contact with some TRADIC people, re: were they consulted by the telephone network engineers?) and invite him to next year's VCF East (he's already done VCF West and HOPE).

          G'night all.
        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
            > The hackerspace is a whole other deal. Basically I funded anything that
            > wasn't paid by members, members didn't pay that often, my employer has
            > only been cutting partial paychecks for the past 3+ years, and others are
            > trying to claw into the membership and hackerspace idea for their
            > for-profit places. So the whole thing is a huge mess, and I'm kind of
            > burned out on it all for a bit. There is some thoughts about taking it
            > private and just really driving towards making new things.

            Did Jen/polishsputnik et al ever get anything off the ground in Blacksburg? Last time I talked to her, VT's CS department was interested in helping fund it.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                >> he should clarify that he was talking about an electronic/digital computer.

                He did. Specifically he meant a transistor computer, which TRADIC was, and which the new signaling system was.
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
                  he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

                  He also said he's glad to speak at VCF East 9.1 next spring, pending
                  schedules.

                  Related: I found this two-part article about Bell Labs' earlier
                  electromechanical computers: http://tinyurl.com/cjmh9fp.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                    > Phil responded to me this morning and acknowledged the mistake. He said
                    > he'll add it to the errata list at http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php.

                    Update ... he did as he promised, and gave me a hat-tip:
                    http://explodingthephone.com/errata.php