Re: [midatlanticretro] New VAX

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
      On 03/30/2013 11:23 PM, David Riley wrote:
      >> Whew! Just pulled in with my latest find after 14 hrs on the road. Been
      >> looking for one of these for a while. A VAX 11/780. It was pulled out of
      >> service and dropped in storage and never touched. No missing boards, power
      >> supplies, etc. Includes a UNIBUS expansion cabinet, TU78, line printer, and
      >> dual RA81's.
      >
      > I am SO full of envy.

      You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Brian Roth
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
        >You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!

        Haven't cracked the two BA-11's but I'm hoping for some nice goodies in there. I can't believe this thing has not been touched. Its all there.

        Just checked some of the box's. Couple of DECmates with original software. Two pallets of VT102 with just about all of them having Retro Graphic boards in them
        VT240's, couple of VR201's that are pretty moldy. Easy fix.

        Going to take everything down to the frame and make it real nice. Pretty dusty but no mouse destruction.
        That would be pretty neat Dave if we could work on them in the same time frame. We could cluster them over the net hehe!

        On 03/30/2013 11:23 PM, David Riley wrote:
        >> Whew! Just pulled in with my latest find after 14 hrs on the road. Been
        >> looking for one of these for a while. A VAX 11/780. It was pulled out of
        >> service and dropped in storage and never touched. No missing boards, power
        >> supplies, etc. Includes a UNIBUS expansion cabinet, TU78, line printer, and
        >> dual RA81's.
        >
        > I am SO full of envy.

        You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA

      • DougCrawford
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
          Sounds like a party in Pittsburgh!

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...>
          wrote:

          > >You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!
          >
          > Haven't cracked the two BA-11's but I'm hoping for some nice goodies
          in there. I can't believe this thing has not been touched. Its all
          there.

          > Just checked some of the box's. Couple of DECmates with original
          software. Two pallets of VT102 with just about all of them having Retro
          Graphic boards in them
          > VT240's, couple of VR201's that are pretty moldy. Easy fix.
          >
          > Going to take everything down to the frame and make it real nice.
          Pretty dusty but no mouse destruction.
          > That would be pretty neat Dave if we could work on them in the same
          time frame. We could cluster them over the net hehe!

          > ________________________________

        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
            On Mar 30, 2013, at 23:39, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...> wrote:

            >You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!

            Haven't cracked the two BA-11's but I'm hoping for some nice goodies in there. I can't believe this thing has not been touched. Its all there.

            Just checked some of the box's. Couple of DECmates with original software. Two pallets of VT102 with just about all of them having Retro Graphic boards in them
            VT240's, couple of VR201's that are pretty moldy. Easy fix.

            Two PALLETS of VT102? Are you planning on selling any, even the terminal-only ones? I could do with something a little more authentic than a Mac SE running ZTerm.

            Seriously, amazing find. Where was it? Old factory? University?

            - Dave
          • Brian Roth
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
              I certainly do not need 2 pallets of VT102's so I will be getting rid of a few who might need one. It'll be a while before I get through this stuff though. Most of the terminals have yellowed pretty bad but at least what I see are in good shape. I would rather trade for stuff than sell.

              This system came out of a Ford plant.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
                On Mar 31, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Brian Roth wrote:

                > I certainly do not need 2 pallets of VT102's so I will be getting rid of a few who might need one. It'll be a while before I get through this stuff though. Most of the terminals have yellowed pretty bad but at least what I see are in good shape. I would rather trade for stuff than sell.

                Certainly keep us posted. I'm happy to trade as well, though I don't think my list of things I have to offer intersects that well with your previous list of things you want. We'll see! Congrats on the haul, in any case!

                - Dave
              • David Comley
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013

                  On Mar 31, 2013, at 10:40, Brian Roth <abacos_98@...> wrote:

                  This system came out of a Ford plant.

                  .

                  Wow - do you know which one ?

                  I'm an ex-Ford of Europe guy. We used 750's, 780's and the like for various plant control activities in the '80's. I worked in Process Control for quite a while until I moved to Design Systems.

                  That's a great find with some interesting provenance, I suspect.

                  -David

                • Matt Patoray
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
                    Very cool!!!!!

                    And I'm close enough to come help and just generally ogle some awesome hardware!

                    Matt

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
                      On 03/30/2013 11:39 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
                      >>You and me both. The 11/780 is awesome in SO many ways!
                      >
                      > Haven't cracked the two BA-11's but I'm hoping for some nice goodies in
                      > there. I can't believe this thing has not been touched. Its all there.
                      >
                      > Just checked some of the box's. Couple of DECmates with original software.
                      > Two pallets of VT102 with just about all of them having Retro Graphic boards
                      > in them
                      > VT240's, couple of VR201's that are pretty moldy. Easy fix.

                      That's a fantastic haul! Congrats!

                      > Going to take everything down to the frame and make it real nice. Pretty
                      > dusty but no mouse destruction.

                      Excellent.

                      > That would be pretty neat Dave if we could work on them in the same time
                      > frame. We could cluster them over the net hehe!

                      That'd be great! I'll see what I can do to accelerate the freight stuff on
                      my end. It'll likely be awhile, sadly, but I'll do what I can.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Brian Roth
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Pretty sure it was in New England but not sure of the state. I'll probably know more in a few weeks.