re: [midatlanticretro] Re: desoldering station advice

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

      > I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the
      Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best.
      None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I
      currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it,
      work much better than the self-contained stations.

      > Tom

      Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
      For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
      hope I made the right decision.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
        On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

        > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
        > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
        > hope I made the right decision.

        Let us know how you like it.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • wb4jfi
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013

          > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:
          >
          > > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
          > > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
          > > hope I made the right decision.
          >
          > Let us know how you like it.
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          Sorry for being late to the party, but I have an X-Tronic 4040, which has worked very good for me. Both a nice iron and a hot-air wand in one unit. The newer models have fixed the only minor complaint that I had: it only read in centigrade before, but is not switchable between C and F readouts. It comes with extra tips, and extra heating elements for both iron and wand, at less than $110. ebay link:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

          Terry, WB4JFI