Re: desoldering station advice

  • hornbetw
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, telmnstr@... wrote:

      > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
      > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
      > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
      > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
      > > ends work.
      >
      > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
      > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
      > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
      >
      > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
      > BGA reballs for fun.
      >
      > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
      > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
      > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
      > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

      I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best. None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it, work much better than the self-contained stations.

      Tom
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

        > I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the
        Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best.
        None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I
        currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it,
        work much better than the self-contained stations.

        > Tom

        Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
        For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
        hope I made the right decision.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
          On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

          > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
          > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
          > hope I made the right decision.

          Let us know how you like it.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • wb4jfi
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013

            > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:
            >
            > > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
            > > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
            > > hope I made the right decision.
            >
            > Let us know how you like it.
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            Sorry for being late to the party, but I have an X-Tronic 4040, which has worked very good for me. Both a nice iron and a hot-air wand in one unit. The newer models have fixed the only minor complaint that I had: it only read in centigrade before, but is not switchable between C and F readouts. It comes with extra tips, and extra heating elements for both iron and wand, at less than $110. ebay link:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

            Terry, WB4JFI