Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: desoldering station advice

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29 1:43 PM
      On 03/29/2013 04:39 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > I'm actually considering to buy a solder pot. They don't seem to cost
      > very much for the small cheap ones. I wonder if they are any good?

      I have a solder pot that I could sell cheaply. Contact me off-list if
      you're interested. I was thinking of putting it on eBay soon anyway.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29 1:45 PM
        On 03/29/2013 04:41 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
        > B. Degnan wrote:
        >>
        >> I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
        >> them:
        >>
        >> 170848203531
        >
        > Did you see this one: 130843710541?
        >
        > Man! Those things are cheap! Seems too good to be true.

        AOYUE's stuff is probably the best value for the dollar that I've seen in
        this industry. Ever.

        You can also actually get REPAIR PARTS for them, like heating elements,
        etc. SRA sells them. They're built to be maintained. In this day and age,
        that's very rare, and amazing.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • hornbetw
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29 3:47 PM
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, telmnstr@... wrote:

          > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
          > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
          > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
          > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
          > > ends work.
          >
          > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
          > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
          > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
          >
          > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
          > BGA reballs for fun.
          >
          > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
          > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
          > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
          > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

          I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best. None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it, work much better than the self-contained stations.

          Tom
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 29 5:54 PM

            > I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the
            Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best.
            None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I
            currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it,
            work much better than the self-contained stations.

            > Tom

            Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
            For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
            hope I made the right decision.

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 29 6:03 PM
              On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

              > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
              > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
              > hope I made the right decision.

              Let us know how you like it.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • wb4jfi
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 30 1:26 PM

                > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:
                >
                > > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                > > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                > > hope I made the right decision.
                >
                > Let us know how you like it.
                >

                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                Sorry for being late to the party, but I have an X-Tronic 4040, which has worked very good for me. Both a nice iron and a hot-air wand in one unit. The newer models have fixed the only minor complaint that I had: it only read in centigrade before, but is not switchable between C and F readouts. It comes with extra tips, and extra heating elements for both iron and wand, at less than $110. ebay link:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

                Terry, WB4JFI