Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Altair / Fool on the Hill question

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 29 1:16 PM
      On 03/29/2013 03:27 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
      > John even videotaped it when we got the program working on my machine:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImrHlYLzZo

      Nicely done!

      > So, yeah. RF music on S100 boxes works quite well. It really isn't that
      > hard to do. At TCF, Corey entered the program into his system, and we put
      > a random old AA5 radio I'd bought at the flea market area for a few bucks
      > next to it, and it worked there too. We just set the radio next to the
      > computer, with it's cover off, and had lovely RF noise/music playing loud
      > and clear.

      Ahh, someone else who knows what an AA5 is! You rock.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 29 1:27 PM
        > > >   Ferrite
        > > Well, it could be a Ferret, less the little critter run away
        >
        > Hehehehe. I don't know, it might be patient. Ferrets like music, but I'm not so sure they like RFI. Still, I can't imagine that wire wound around a ferret would make a very good antenna.

        There's an idea. I don't think the ferret would like it much though.
        I don't have ferrets, but I have cats, perhaps I can try it with one of them? Stay tuned! (My cats are looking at me, not amused).

        > John even videotaped it when we got the program working on my machine:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImrHlYLzZo

        Very cool! Thanks for the video.

        > So, yeah. RF music on S100 boxes works quite well. It really isn't that hard to do. At TCF, Corey entered the program into his system, and we put a random old AA5 radio I'd bought at the flea market area for a few bucks next to it, and it worked there too. We just set the radio next to the computer, with it's cover off, and had lovely RF noise/music playing loud and clear.

        Here's an idea. Get 2 Altairs to play dueling banjos (or Altairs).

        :)J
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 29 1:32 PM
          >> Here's an idea. Get 2 Altairs to play dueling banjos (or Altairs).

          MARCH does have two of them...
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 29 1:44 PM

            > >> Here's an idea. Get 2 Altairs to play dueling banjos (or Altairs).
            >
            > MARCH does have two of them...

            I want to see a video of them playing dueling banjo's!
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 29 2:09 PM
              On 03/29/2013 03:16 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
              > Here, I will yield to your experience. I have never played with RFI
              > Computer Music. Does the interference depend on where you tune your
              > radio? If you are far away from your computer, does tuning your radio
              > help bring in the signal? I'm sure there's lots to read about the
              > subject, but playing is more fun.

              Not really; the EMI is very broadband. There are usually parts of the
              tuning range where it's stronger and/or more clear.

              And playing is DEFINITELY more fun. :-)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ