Re: S-100 IDE, was: [midatlanticretro] desoldering station advice

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
      > Interesting! Any idea if it's possible to use the CF card with PC based
      > emulators to manipulate/load the OS?

      Not that I know of, but I'm far from the authority on it. John Monahan (runs s100computers.com) has test software written for both CP/M and ROM (patch your own console I/O) available through his website.

      It should be possible to emulate the board in one of the extensible emulators, saving the generated output to an image that could then be dumped onto the CF card.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

        > I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
        > cards, etc.
        >
        > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
        > them:
        >
        > 170848203531
        >
        > any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're at
        > least $650.

        The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2 and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss over keeping it clean. The AOUYE gives 24" of Hg vacuum, my PACE only gives 20". I think that will go a long way to keeping the hole clear. I especially love that the 701 has temperature control, something that doesn't work very well in the PACE. The tip is close to the heating element, a good design.

        My guess is the AOUYE will give you value for your money.

        :)J
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
          Joshbensadon wrote:
          > The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2
          > and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss
          > over keeping it clean.

          Hmmm... Well, I was thinking of an ST-145 with an SX-80 handpiece. These
          newer "snap-vac" systems are supposed to be really good and the SX series
          handpieces are supposed to be very light.

          Bill S.
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
            On 03/29/2013 03:59 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
            > My guess is the AOUYE will give you value for your money.

            AOYUE started out making cheap Chinese clones of top-end, very expensive
            commercial Hakko equipment, almost model-for-model.

            One such clone was made of the famous and very pricey Hakko 850 hot air
            rework station. I've used the AOYUE version and the Hakko version side by
            side. The AOYUE unit is built better and works better.

            Later, they started adding new features to the standard feature sets, and
            doing their own models of stuff. Everything I've seen from them has been top
            notch and built like a tank. This is the exception to the "Chinese garbage"
            rule!

            SRA Soldering Products is the US distributor for AOYUE. SRA is a small
            family-owned company with whom I've dealt for years. They are top-notch. (I
            don't work for them; I'm just a happy customer.)

            http://www.sra-solder.com/

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

              > Joshbensadon wrote:
              > > The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2
              > > and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss
              > > over keeping it clean.
              >
              > Hmmm... Well, I was thinking of an ST-145 with an SX-80 handpiece. These
              > newer "snap-vac" systems are supposed to be really good and the SX series
              > handpieces are supposed to be very light.
              >
              > Bill S.

              Yes, that is a much more superior model than the one I use. I'm only giving a 5 / 10 for my old station. To be fair, PACE makes a lot of better models. At work I use a PACE MBT 250, I don't know off the top of my head which handpiece it has, but the tips look like those SX tips. They don't clogg nearly as much as my old PACE SR-2.

              I'm actually considering to buy a solder pot. They don't seem to cost very much for the small cheap ones. I wonder if they are any good?

              :)J
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                B. Degnan wrote:

                > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
                > them:
                >
                > 170848203531

                Did you see this one: 130843710541?

                Man! Those things are cheap! Seems too good to be true.

                Bill S.
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                  On 03/29/2013 04:39 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                  > I'm actually considering to buy a solder pot. They don't seem to cost
                  > very much for the small cheap ones. I wonder if they are any good?

                  I have a solder pot that I could sell cheaply. Contact me off-list if
                  you're interested. I was thinking of putting it on eBay soon anyway.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                    On 03/29/2013 04:41 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > B. Degnan wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
                    >> them:
                    >>
                    >> 170848203531
                    >
                    > Did you see this one: 130843710541?
                    >
                    > Man! Those things are cheap! Seems too good to be true.

                    AOYUE's stuff is probably the best value for the dollar that I've seen in
                    this industry. Ever.

                    You can also actually get REPAIR PARTS for them, like heating elements,
                    etc. SRA sells them. They're built to be maintained. In this day and age,
                    that's very rare, and amazing.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • hornbetw
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, telmnstr@... wrote:

                      > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
                      > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
                      > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
                      > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
                      > > ends work.
                      >
                      > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
                      > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
                      > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
                      >
                      > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
                      > BGA reballs for fun.
                      >
                      > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
                      > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
                      > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
                      > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

                      I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best. None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it, work much better than the self-contained stations.

                      Tom
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

                        > I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the
                        Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best.
                        None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I
                        currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it,
                        work much better than the self-contained stations.

                        > Tom

                        Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                        For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                        hope I made the right decision.

                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                          On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                          > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                          > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                          > hope I made the right decision.

                          Let us know how you like it.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • wb4jfi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013

                            > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:
                            >
                            > > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                            > > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                            > > hope I made the right decision.
                            >
                            > Let us know how you like it.
                            >

                            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                            Sorry for being late to the party, but I have an X-Tronic 4040, which has worked very good for me. Both a nice iron and a hot-air wand in one unit. The newer models have fixed the only minor complaint that I had: it only read in centigrade before, but is not switchable between C and F readouts. It comes with extra tips, and extra heating elements for both iron and wand, at less than $110. ebay link:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

                            Terry, WB4JFI