desoldering station advice

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
      I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
      cards, etc.

      I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
      them:

      170848203531

      any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're at
      least $650.

      Bill
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
        B. Degnan wrote:
        > I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
        > cards, etc.
        >
        > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
        > them:
        >
        > 170848203531
        >
        > any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're at
        > least $650.

        I had the opportunity to handle a Hakko 808 the other day.
        I was surprised by how light it was and what a good job it
        does. I expected it to be heavier and less capable. I
        intend to get one as soon as I'm sure I have the "hobby
        money" available.

        Bill S.
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

          > B. Degnan wrote:
          > > I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
          > > cards, etc.
          > >
          > > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
          > > them:
          > >
          > > 170848203531
          > >
          > > any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're
          at
          > > least $650.
          >
          > I had the opportunity to handle a Hakko 808 the other day.
          > I was surprised by how light it was and what a good job it
          > does. I expected it to be heavier and less capable. I
          > intend to get one as soon as I'm sure I have the "hobby
          > money" available.
          >
          > Bill S.

          Thanks Bill. I am going to get some glasses and get some more serious
          equipment. Tired of hacking my hacks.
          bd
        • telmnstr
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
            > I had the opportunity to handle a Hakko 808 the other day.
            > I was surprised by how light it was and what a good job it
            > does. I expected it to be heavier and less capable. I
            > intend to get one as soon as I'm sure I have the "hobby
            > money" available.

            Hakko 808 is great!

            A friend swears by used PACE stations though (fancy digital ones that
            sometimes turn up low cost on ebay.)

            I own an old pace station and I'd take a Hakko over it. Because the pump
            is right near the tip there isn't much lag time pulling vacume on it.

            (If you're really on a budget, the red bulb radio shack iron works okay.)

            Old boards tend to burn under high heat, so maybe temperature control is a
            benefit.

            (I use mine mostly for arcade/pinball repair.)
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
              telmnstr@... wrote:
              > Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 2:18 PM
              > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] desoldering station advice
              >
              > > I had the opportunity to handle a Hakko 808 the other day.
              > > I was surprised by how light it was and what a good job it
              > > does. I expected it to be heavier and less capable. I
              > > intend to get one as soon as I'm sure I have the "hobby
              > > money" available.
              >
              > Hakko 808 is great!
              >
              > A friend swears by used PACE stations though (fancy digital ones that
              > sometimes turn up low cost on ebay.)

              I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
              other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
              to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
              I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
              ends work.

              Bill S.
            • telmnstr
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
                > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
                > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
                > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
                > ends work.

                I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
                get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
                have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.

                Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
                BGA reballs for fun.

                (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
                S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
                plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
                IMSAI Northstar drive.)
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                  On Mar 29, 2013, at 2:29 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:

                  > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
                  > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
                  > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
                  > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
                  > > ends work.
                  >
                  > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
                  > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
                  > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
                  >
                  > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
                  > BGA reballs for fun.

                  How well does that do the job for putting the BGAs down? I've been
                  thinking about getting one of those for BGA work (soldering, not
                  reballing). Lots of video tutorials out there featuring those hot
                  air reflow stations.

                  - Dave
                • telmnstr
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                    > How well does that do the job for putting the BGAs down? I've been
                    > thinking about getting one of those for BGA work (soldering, not
                    > reballing). Lots of video tutorials out there featuring those hot
                    > air reflow stations.

                    I assume pretty good. He has a few frame things, and is doing the whole
                    XBox 360 repair. He's building his own pile of them for use at a video
                    game convention.

                    As I recall he uses a frame to keep the board from warping, brings the
                    whole board up to a specific temperature slowly, then uses a shield around
                    other components and the hot air setup to extract the BGA chips. Cleans
                    them up, lays down new paste with a stencil then brings it up to
                    temperature again. I think that is the process.

                    Another friend jsut did the whole toaster oven setup for doing SMDs. I've
                    got a few uses for it in mind. He has a computer controller on it with a
                    thermocouple and all that. Arduino based controller I think.
                  • David Riley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                      On Mar 29, 2013, at 2:48 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:

                      > Another friend jsut did the whole toaster oven setup for doing SMDs. I've
                      > got a few uses for it in mind. He has a computer controller on it with a
                      > thermocouple and all that. Arduino based controller I think.

                      I've had luck using a toaster oven for simple SMD devices, but I think
                      I'd rather use something more localized for BGA work. I think we might
                      have one at the office where I work, but since I work from home from a
                      different state, I don't get to see it too often. Maybe I should just
                      try it sometime.

                      - Dave
                    • Systems Glitch
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                        > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
                        > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
                        > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
                        > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

                        I've got one of the dual-drive ones from s100computers/N8VEM, I just started populating it last week actually. If none are available it would be extremely easy to clone, especially if you don't care about IEEE-696 support. It's mostly just an 8255 PIA and a bit of glue logic.

                        Thanks,
                        Jonathan
                      • telmnstr
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                          >> (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
                          >> S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
                          >> plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
                          >> IMSAI Northstar drive.)
                          >
                          > I've got one of the dual-drive ones from s100computers/N8VEM, I just
                          > started populating it last week actually. If none are available it would
                          > be extremely easy to clone, especially if you don't care about IEEE-696
                          > support. It's mostly just an 8255 PIA and a bit of glue logic.
                          > Thanks,
                          > Jonathan

                          Interesting! Any idea if it's possible to use the CF card with PC based
                          emulators to manipulate/load the OS?
                        • Systems Glitch
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                            > Interesting! Any idea if it's possible to use the CF card with PC based
                            > emulators to manipulate/load the OS?

                            Not that I know of, but I'm far from the authority on it. John Monahan (runs s100computers.com) has test software written for both CP/M and ROM (patch your own console I/O) available through his website.

                            It should be possible to emulate the board in one of the extensible emulators, saving the generated output to an image that could then be dumped onto the CF card.

                            Thanks,
                            Jonathan
                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

                              > I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
                              > cards, etc.
                              >
                              > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
                              > them:
                              >
                              > 170848203531
                              >
                              > any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're at
                              > least $650.

                              The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2 and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss over keeping it clean. The AOUYE gives 24" of Hg vacuum, my PACE only gives 20". I think that will go a long way to keeping the hole clear. I especially love that the 701 has temperature control, something that doesn't work very well in the PACE. The tip is close to the heating element, a good design.

                              My guess is the AOUYE will give you value for your money.

                              :)J
                            • Bill Sudbrink
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                Joshbensadon wrote:
                                > The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2
                                > and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss
                                > over keeping it clean.

                                Hmmm... Well, I was thinking of an ST-145 with an SX-80 handpiece. These
                                newer "snap-vac" systems are supposed to be really good and the SX series
                                handpieces are supposed to be very light.

                                Bill S.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                  On 03/29/2013 03:59 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                  > My guess is the AOUYE will give you value for your money.

                                  AOYUE started out making cheap Chinese clones of top-end, very expensive
                                  commercial Hakko equipment, almost model-for-model.

                                  One such clone was made of the famous and very pricey Hakko 850 hot air
                                  rework station. I've used the AOYUE version and the Hakko version side by
                                  side. The AOYUE unit is built better and works better.

                                  Later, they started adding new features to the standard feature sets, and
                                  doing their own models of stuff. Everything I've seen from them has been top
                                  notch and built like a tank. This is the exception to the "Chinese garbage"
                                  rule!

                                  SRA Soldering Products is the US distributor for AOYUE. SRA is a small
                                  family-owned company with whom I've dealt for years. They are top-notch. (I
                                  don't work for them; I'm just a happy customer.)

                                  http://www.sra-solder.com/

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • joshbensadon
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                    > Joshbensadon wrote:
                                    > > The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2
                                    > > and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss
                                    > > over keeping it clean.
                                    >
                                    > Hmmm... Well, I was thinking of an ST-145 with an SX-80 handpiece. These
                                    > newer "snap-vac" systems are supposed to be really good and the SX series
                                    > handpieces are supposed to be very light.
                                    >
                                    > Bill S.

                                    Yes, that is a much more superior model than the one I use. I'm only giving a 5 / 10 for my old station. To be fair, PACE makes a lot of better models. At work I use a PACE MBT 250, I don't know off the top of my head which handpiece it has, but the tips look like those SX tips. They don't clogg nearly as much as my old PACE SR-2.

                                    I'm actually considering to buy a solder pot. They don't seem to cost very much for the small cheap ones. I wonder if they are any good?

                                    :)J
                                  • Bill Sudbrink
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                      B. Degnan wrote:

                                      > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
                                      > them:
                                      >
                                      > 170848203531

                                      Did you see this one: 130843710541?

                                      Man! Those things are cheap! Seems too good to be true.

                                      Bill S.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                        On 03/29/2013 04:39 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                                        > I'm actually considering to buy a solder pot. They don't seem to cost
                                        > very much for the small cheap ones. I wonder if they are any good?

                                        I have a solder pot that I could sell cheaply. Contact me off-list if
                                        you're interested. I was thinking of putting it on eBay soon anyway.

                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                          On 03/29/2013 04:41 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                                          > B. Degnan wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
                                          >> them:
                                          >>
                                          >> 170848203531
                                          >
                                          > Did you see this one: 130843710541?
                                          >
                                          > Man! Those things are cheap! Seems too good to be true.

                                          AOYUE's stuff is probably the best value for the dollar that I've seen in
                                          this industry. Ever.

                                          You can also actually get REPAIR PARTS for them, like heating elements,
                                          etc. SRA sells them. They're built to be maintained. In this day and age,
                                          that's very rare, and amazing.

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • hornbetw
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, telmnstr@... wrote:

                                            > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
                                            > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
                                            > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
                                            > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
                                            > > ends work.
                                            >
                                            > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
                                            > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
                                            > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
                                            >
                                            > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
                                            > BGA reballs for fun.
                                            >
                                            > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
                                            > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
                                            > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
                                            > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

                                            I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best. None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it, work much better than the self-contained stations.

                                            Tom
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013

                                              > I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the
                                              Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best.
                                              None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I
                                              currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it,
                                              work much better than the self-contained stations.

                                              > Tom

                                              Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                                              For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                                              hope I made the right decision.

                                            • Mike Loewen
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 29, 2013
                                                On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                                                > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                                                > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                                                > hope I made the right decision.

                                                Let us know how you like it.

                                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                              • wb4jfi
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 30, 2013

                                                  > On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, B. Degnan wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Given the cost and what Bill S said, I decided to buy the Hakko 808-KIT.
                                                  > > For $178 seemed like the best deal all around for what I need to do. I
                                                  > > hope I made the right decision.
                                                  >
                                                  > Let us know how you like it.
                                                  >

                                                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                                  Sorry for being late to the party, but I have an X-Tronic 4040, which has worked very good for me. Both a nice iron and a hot-air wand in one unit. The newer models have fixed the only minor complaint that I had: it only read in centigrade before, but is not switchable between C and F readouts. It comes with extra tips, and extra heating elements for both iron and wand, at less than $110. ebay link:
                                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

                                                  Terry, WB4JFI