Re: [midatlanticretro] Kirk IMP-16 Homebrew System

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
      >> took home the Mark 8 replica

      Correction: you took home the Scelbi replica.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/IMP-16_homebrew/

          Thanks for getting pix posted so promptly!
          Several things impressed me about this prototype:

          - 7 segment LED displays instead of individual leds
          - instead of toggle switches or a keypad,
          he used 4: octal thumbwheels with speed levers
          for entry (the lever is 7 on top, 0 on bottom)
          - but not even Dymo lettering for the other switches

          We need to further ID the CPU and major chips.

          Can anyone identify the backplane and cards used?
          I've never encountered such long thin cards
          with the edge connector on the short-end.
          Many are protoboards with generic patterns
          for soldering chips and power busses.

          The backplane LOOKS like a 2-section DEC PDP
          but it's single sided edge connector,
          wire-wrapped on the bottom.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
            On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:00:36AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:

            > The backplane LOOKS like a 2-section DEC PDP
            > but it's single sided edge connector,
            > wire-wrapped on the bottom.

            It looks like DEC older style for the pre IC machines. The later PDP-11's
            had deeper cards like that but I've never seen deep cards with the single side
            backplanes.

            http://www.pdp8online.com/straight8/pics_backplane/P1020160.shtml?small
            http://www.pdp8online.com/dfds32/pics/df32topcards.shtml?small