Kirk IMP-16 Homebrew System

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28 10:41 AM
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/IMP-16_homebrew/

      The Kirk estate donated this IMP-16 homebrew computer and it's in MARCH.

      The photos were from my phone, so they're not as clear as a regular camera.
      I also don't have a photo of the 16-bit IMP-16, nor the ROM card with two
      of three 2708 slots filled. The two RAMs are full of 2102's. Based on the
      dates of many chips the system appears to have been built in 1978 or 1979.

      Note the pic containing a view of the MARCH inventory on new shelving
      units. Evan, Jeff, Elise, and Jeff, and everyone else - great job getting
      our inventory organized. Its great to see.

      I took home the Mark 8 replica, let me know if anyone here'd like to get
      together to build it at my place and/or InfoAge

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28 11:20 AM
        >> took home the Mark 8 replica

        Correction: you took home the Scelbi replica.
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28 12:00 PM
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28 8:00 PM
            > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/IMP-16_homebrew/

            Thanks for getting pix posted so promptly!
            Several things impressed me about this prototype:

            - 7 segment LED displays instead of individual leds
            - instead of toggle switches or a keypad,
            he used 4: octal thumbwheels with speed levers
            for entry (the lever is 7 on top, 0 on bottom)
            - but not even Dymo lettering for the other switches

            We need to further ID the CPU and major chips.

            Can anyone identify the backplane and cards used?
            I've never encountered such long thin cards
            with the edge connector on the short-end.
            Many are protoboards with generic patterns
            for soldering chips and power busses.

            The backplane LOOKS like a 2-section DEC PDP
            but it's single sided edge connector,
            wire-wrapped on the bottom.
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29 5:51 AM
              On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:00:36AM -0000, Jeff Jonas wrote:

              > The backplane LOOKS like a 2-section DEC PDP
              > but it's single sided edge connector,
              > wire-wrapped on the bottom.

              It looks like DEC older style for the pre IC machines. The later PDP-11's
              had deeper cards like that but I've never seen deep cards with the single side
              backplanes.

              http://www.pdp8online.com/straight8/pics_backplane/P1020160.shtml?small
              http://www.pdp8online.com/dfds32/pics/df32topcards.shtml?small