Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: How do I make boot floopy? IMSAI + Northstar + CP/M?

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 27 12:10 PM
      > Looked good enough for me. Last I checked, the drop out voltage of those 5V regulators was 7V.

      Yup, that's sufficient! They'll regulate down to 7V; in fact, that's what I run my DC bench supply at when I use it with a small S-100 backplane. The 78/79 series regulators have pretty good ripple rejection if you provide adequate bypass around them.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
        > telmnstr@... wrote:
        > > I just looked. MDC-A4 is the floppy controller.
        >
        > Ah well... I owe Jonathan a beer. As he pointed out, this
        > is not good news. The CP/M stuff on Dave Dunfield's site
        > is double density. You should probably follow his lead
        > from here on out. I've never played with the one single
        > density N* controller I have and I've never played with N*
        > DOS.

        > Bill S.

        http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

        I dont' have time tonight to check Dunfield's disk images, to see if he has single-density N* disk images. Check for yourself, later. But his Northstar NST serial transfer tools may be of some use to you. Since Dave's disk imaging can't make hard-sectored diskettes, he uses the native system to create or read the disk image and transfers it by serial cable to the MS-DOS system where the image files are created/read.

        People re-invent this technology over and over again; Dave's had a set of these transfer tools for various systems, for some time.

        herb
        retrotechnology.com
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2013
          > I dont' have time tonight to check Dunfield's disk images, to see if he has single-density N* disk images.

          Yes, he does...no CP/M but plenty of North Star DOS and related applications/usergroup disks.

          > But his Northstar NST serial transfer tools may be of some use to you.

          It definitely works with single-density disks, that's how I made mine. I don't recall right off whether I had to do anything special for single-density.

          > People re-invent this technology over and over again; Dave's had a set of these transfer tools for various systems, for some time.

          Sticking with a known-good imaging system and image format also helps to grow the available software for the community.

          Thanks,
          Jonathan