Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for trades

  • Brian Roth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hello Evan and thanks.

         I have known about the group and have visited the message board periodically but Steve from tesoftelectronics suggested I should join. I live near Niagara Falls NY and have been a hobbyist for many years but only recently rekindled that interest. I have been working in IT for the past 25 years first as a tech, moved to KY for an MIS position at an HMO then as a Network Engineer for a Bank and now I manage IT for a local Hospital. Seems like every technical job I have had I kept getting pulled into management but always had the passion for the hardware.

        My main interest for the last few years has been building Tube Guitar Amps so I have a little experience with that beautiful old technology. A recent injury in my wood shop has put and end temporarily to that and probably my guitar playing permanently as well so now its time to fire up the VAXen.

        I hope I can contribute to the group and make it to VCF east sometime as well.

      Brian.

      > I'm thinning my collection down to just VAX and MicroVAX.
      >
      > Things I am looking for

      Welcome to the group. Please introduce yourself -- how you found us,
      where you live, your background in tech, etc.

      - Evan K. / group prez

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2013
        On 03/26/2013 07:03 AM, Brian Roth wrote:
        > I have known about the group and have visited the message board
        > periodically but Steve from tesoftelectronics suggested I should join. I
        > live near Niagara Falls NY and have been a hobbyist for many years but
        > only recently rekindled that interest. I have been working in IT for the
        > past 25 years first as a tech, moved to KY for an MIS position at an HMO
        > then as a Network Engineer for a Bank and now I manage IT for a local
        > Hospital. Seems like every technical job I have had I kept getting
        > pulled into management but always had the passion for the hardware.
        >
        > My main interest for the last few years has been building Tube Guitar
        > Amps so I have a little experience with that beautiful old technology. A
        > recent injury in my wood shop has put and end temporarily to that and
        > probably my guitar playing permanently as well so now its time to fire
        > up the VAXen.
        >
        > I hope I can contribute to the group and make it to VCF east sometime
        > as well.

        Hey there Brian, it's good to see you here. I'm sorry to hear about
        the accident; that really sucks.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Roth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2013
          Thank you Dave.
             I remember talking to you many years ago. IIRC you used to live in Florida and I remember you used to have a baby Cray complete with Unicos? I remember when I talked to you I think I was trying to get(deal fell through) a Cray Y-MP. I did end up with a few SGI's but never did get that Cray. The rise and fall many times of that company and Mr. Cray is just fascinating to me. The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

          Brian.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2013
            >> The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

            +1.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 27, 2013
              On 03/26/2013 01:51 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
              > I remember talking to you many years ago.

              Yes, we spoke many times.

              > IIRC you used to live in Florida

              Yup. I escaped from Where Careers Go To Die about two years ago. I
              was starving down there, and am thriving up here. (though am so busy I
              can barely keep track of my own pants!)

              > and I remember you used to have a baby Cray complete with
              > Unicos?

              Yup, several. (I took this off-list, for others reading)

              > I remember when I talked to you I think I was trying to get(deal
              > fell through) a Cray Y-MP. I did end up with a few SGI's but never did
              > get that Cray. The rise and fall many times of that company and Mr. Cray
              > is just fascinating to me. The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

              Yes it is!

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ