Looking for trades

  • Brian Roth
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25 5:36 PM
      I'm thinning my collection down to just VAX and MicroVAX.

      Things I am looking for:

      VAX 11/725 or larger.
      RC25 whole parts carts
      Complete systems in BA213 or 215
      KDA50 cables cab kits drives (RA72 =92)
      HSC, early 80's DEC networking, vampire taps Thicknet.
      Working Pro380

      Let me know what you have.

      I have:

      Heathkit dual 9" drive
      H-89 z-89 z-19
      a couple of empty 11/34's
      Cipher 1000 9 track
      Western Peripherals Pertec controller
      System Industries SMD controller box and cables
      System Industries SMD 160Mb drive(cool see through plastic to HDA)
      A really nice TE-16 (would love to trade for a 11/725 or 30)
      RK05
      Complete working Xerox 8/16 with dual 8" drives
      Televideo TS800 terminal
      SGI Onyx deskside purple skins(partial) drives and a few boards
      SGI Origin nodes with memory
      IBM PC's XT's, ISA cards, MFM drives and controllers
      Might be persuaded to part with my working Tek 4105 graphics terminal with manual.

      Thanks for your consideration.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25 7:59 PM
        > I'm thinning my collection down to just VAX and MicroVAX.
        >
        > Things I am looking for

        Welcome to the group. Please introduce yourself -- how you found us,
        where you live, your background in tech, etc.

        - Evan K. / group prez
      • Brian Roth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26 4:03 AM
          Hello Evan and thanks.

             I have known about the group and have visited the message board periodically but Steve from tesoftelectronics suggested I should join. I live near Niagara Falls NY and have been a hobbyist for many years but only recently rekindled that interest. I have been working in IT for the past 25 years first as a tech, moved to KY for an MIS position at an HMO then as a Network Engineer for a Bank and now I manage IT for a local Hospital. Seems like every technical job I have had I kept getting pulled into management but always had the passion for the hardware.

            My main interest for the last few years has been building Tube Guitar Amps so I have a little experience with that beautiful old technology. A recent injury in my wood shop has put and end temporarily to that and probably my guitar playing permanently as well so now its time to fire up the VAXen.

            I hope I can contribute to the group and make it to VCF east sometime as well.

          Brian.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26 10:17 AM
            On 03/26/2013 07:03 AM, Brian Roth wrote:
            > I have known about the group and have visited the message board
            > periodically but Steve from tesoftelectronics suggested I should join. I
            > live near Niagara Falls NY and have been a hobbyist for many years but
            > only recently rekindled that interest. I have been working in IT for the
            > past 25 years first as a tech, moved to KY for an MIS position at an HMO
            > then as a Network Engineer for a Bank and now I manage IT for a local
            > Hospital. Seems like every technical job I have had I kept getting
            > pulled into management but always had the passion for the hardware.
            >
            > My main interest for the last few years has been building Tube Guitar
            > Amps so I have a little experience with that beautiful old technology. A
            > recent injury in my wood shop has put and end temporarily to that and
            > probably my guitar playing permanently as well so now its time to fire
            > up the VAXen.
            >
            > I hope I can contribute to the group and make it to VCF east sometime
            > as well.

            Hey there Brian, it's good to see you here. I'm sorry to hear about
            the accident; that really sucks.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Brian Roth
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26 10:51 AM
              Thank you Dave.
                 I remember talking to you many years ago. IIRC you used to live in Florida and I remember you used to have a baby Cray complete with Unicos? I remember when I talked to you I think I was trying to get(deal fell through) a Cray Y-MP. I did end up with a few SGI's but never did get that Cray. The rise and fall many times of that company and Mr. Cray is just fascinating to me. The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

              Brian.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26 10:53 AM
                >> The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

                +1.
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27 11:42 PM
                  On 03/26/2013 01:51 PM, Brian Roth wrote:
                  > I remember talking to you many years ago.

                  Yes, we spoke many times.

                  > IIRC you used to live in Florida

                  Yup. I escaped from Where Careers Go To Die about two years ago. I
                  was starving down there, and am thriving up here. (though am so busy I
                  can barely keep track of my own pants!)

                  > and I remember you used to have a baby Cray complete with
                  > Unicos?

                  Yup, several. (I took this off-list, for others reading)

                  > I remember when I talked to you I think I was trying to get(deal
                  > fell through) a Cray Y-MP. I did end up with a few SGI's but never did
                  > get that Cray. The rise and fall many times of that company and Mr. Cray
                  > is just fascinating to me. The book "The Supermen" is a great read.

                  Yes it is!

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ