UNIVAC Manuals

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hi all,

      Someone has recently offered me a whole bunch of UNIVAC manuals from the 9000 series and later stuff. I have no space for them (or most other things, hah!), unfortunately. There's probably close to 50 or 60 books in the bookshelf, judging from the size of it. They are located in Birmingham, AL. I understand this is quite a drive for many of you.

      It would sadden me greatly to see these go to the recycling bin. If you or anyone you know can help out, just email me and we can talk it over.

      Here are some pictures:

      Kyle
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
        > Someone has recently offered me a whole bunch of UNIVAC manuals from the
        > 9000 series and later stuff. I have no space for them (or most other things,
        > hah!), unfortunately. There's probably close to 50 or 60 books in the
        > bookshelf, judging from the size of it. They are located in Birmingham, AL.
        > I understand this is quite a drive for many of you.
        >
        > It would sadden me greatly to see these go to the recycling bin. If you or
        > anyone you know can help out, just email me and we can talk it over.
        >
        > Here are some pictures:
        > http://i.imgur.com/28mhQI9.jpg
        > http://i.imgur.com/8tol2Be.jpg
        > http://i.imgur.com/soI3nX5.jpg

        I have a 9000 series machine - and could use the manuals. I have a
        partial set Al and I purchased off Ebay for the bitsavers archive a
        long time ago, but a more full set would clearly be better.

        --
        Will
      • Kyle Owen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
          I'm going to try to save these at some point, and they will like be residing in Birmingham with my parents, though they cannot stay there forever.

          I haven't actually pulled a book off the shelf to verify the contents, but I may have time to do that next time I'm over there.

          Kyle

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
            > I'm going to try to save these at some point, and they will like be
            > residing in Birmingham with my parents, though they cannot stay there
            > forever.
            >
            > I haven't actually pulled a book off the shelf to verify the contents, but
            > I may have time to do that next time I'm over there.

            It would be great if you could, so they can be passed under Al's nose
            and included into bitsavers if need be.

            It would be nice to see what the contents of the newer binders are -
            System/80, perhaps?

            --
            Will
          • Kyle Owen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 2:43 PM
              I was able to rescue all of the big binders, but had to leave behind a couple of boxes packed full of more hole-punched papers and a few smaller generic binders. But I'd say this was 90% of the stuff.

              As it turns out, a fair number of the binders were empty, but they were splayed out on the shelf to look as if they were full. Tricky!

              As it also turns out, most of the 9000-series binders were empty. Or, they had non-9000 stuff in them. In any event, I took pictures of most of the topics covered in the binders. Seems as though the majority of it is Series 1100 stuff. Is this of any interest to anyone?

              Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/jLgfL

              Kyle

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4 3:54 PM
                > As it also turns out, most of the 9000-series binders were empty. Or, they
                > had non-9000 stuff in them. In any event, I took pictures of most of the
                > topics covered in the binders. Seems as though the majority of it is Series
                > 1100 stuff. Is this of any interest to anyone?
                >
                > Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/jLgfL

                Yes, it should go to bitsavers. Univac documentation is fairly scarce.

                --
                Will