Museum storage update -- important

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24 5:55 PM
      Once again, Jeff B. / me / Alise spent the day working in our storage
      warehouse. Today we built five more shelving units. Two are for monitors
      and TVs; one is for IBM superminis and micros; one's for Commodore books
      and magazines -- those four are all just "more" of categories that
      already fill other shelving units. The fifth one that we built today is
      a first: one whole shelving unit for punch cards (and a few holding
      drawers.)

      We also had some interesting visitors today including two groups of
      precocious pre-teens who asked good questions.

      But, for the next few weeks, we're going to devote Sundays exclusively
      to storage organization. Why? Because we might be moving soon. This
      isn't THE BIG MOVE of our museum into a larger space, but rather just
      moving our storage from one H-building section to another. So the more
      stuff that we have on mobile shelving units and/or on pallets, the
      easier the job will be.

      According to Fred, the reason for this probably move is that Wall
      Township will be paying to renovate the section where our storage
      currently resides, so that spring/summer Sandy relief volunteers will
      have a nice place to stay for a few weeks/months. Then when the
      volunteers are done and gone, InfoAge has a nice renovated section.
      (Rest assured, nobody's picking on MARCH -- this impacts several groups
      that reside at InfoAge, not just us.)

      So, we're picking up the pace of our storage organization, which --
      let's face it -- is a good thing. It needed to be done a few years ago!
      And we're helping InfoAge, too.

      The UNIVAC isn't moved yet. Fred observed: Why go through the trouble of
      moving it twice? We'll wait a bit longer and move it once. In the
      meantime, it's secure where it currently resides (in the next section
      over).

      In other news, we're about to a few small yet interesting new things,
      such as a Visual Commuter and a Fairchild Model F that's virtually
      new-in-box. We also may soon get a good-condition IBM 026.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24 6:53 PM
        > Once again, Jeff B. / me / Alise spent the day working in our storage
        > warehouse. Today we built five more shelving units. Two are for monitors
        > and TVs; one is for IBM superminis and micros; one's for Commodore books
        > and magazines -- those four are all just "more" of categories that
        > already fill other shelving units. The fifth one that we built today is
        > a first: one whole shelving unit for punch cards (and a few holding
        > drawers.)

        Aarrgghh, I always forget something. Today we also built a whole
        shelving unit for UNIVAC spare parts.

        Jeff J. and I are going there Wednesday to do more work. Anyone care to
        help? We'll be there from approx. 10am until whenever.