Re: Nascom User Group

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Strange" <mjstrange@...> wrote:

      > I didn't see mention of anyone taking a Nascom to the show;
      > very much a homebrew computer of the 70s

      Yipes! More Z80s are coming out of the woodwork!

      Most folks are familiar with Sir Clive Marles Sinclair's Z80 systems: the ZX80, ZX81 and T/S 1000.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Sinclair

      Unless there was an article or advertisement for the system in one's favorite journal (Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, Computer Shopper, Nuts and Volts), or a user group at the Trenton Computer Fest, there was no way to know of it.

      The closest I came was almost assembling a Xerox 820 "bigboard" from parts, but I gave up when they went surplus so cheap it was not worth assembling it myself.

      My Timex Sinclair 1000 was my only cassette system. I held off long enough that my first bare SBC was a Servo-8 with floppy disks: 6 MHz Z80, 64k DRAM, a few on board controllers.

      Despite the slight technical advantage over the Ampro Littleboard, in retrospect I regret not going the Ampro way since they had great community support and continued to grow, particularly with SCSI as a networking alternative.

      -- jeffj