Re: Nascom User Group

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2013

      > Mike,
      >
      > >> I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.
      >
      > Thank you. We try!
      >
      > >> I didn't see mention of ... Nascom
      >
      > I never heard of that until you joined our list. Was it only sold in Europe?
      >
      > Let us know if you ever visit our side of the pond.

      Evan,
      I have to admit that due to the Nascom popularity in Europe that they had made their way over to the USA too. I have looked to see if I can find any detail about export of them but not been successful.

      The is a very brief summary on Wikipedia:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascom

      And a good deal of documentation and detail here:
      http://www.nascomhomepage.com/

      and a blog here: http://nascom-uk.blogspot.co.uk/

      If I ever come your way I shall call in - probably not with the Nascom though!

      Regards,
      Mike
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Strange" <mjstrange@...> wrote:

        > I didn't see mention of anyone taking a Nascom to the show;
        > very much a homebrew computer of the 70s

        Yipes! More Z80s are coming out of the woodwork!

        Most folks are familiar with Sir Clive Marles Sinclair's Z80 systems: the ZX80, ZX81 and T/S 1000.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Sinclair

        Unless there was an article or advertisement for the system in one's favorite journal (Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, Computer Shopper, Nuts and Volts), or a user group at the Trenton Computer Fest, there was no way to know of it.

        The closest I came was almost assembling a Xerox 820 "bigboard" from parts, but I gave up when they went surplus so cheap it was not worth assembling it myself.

        My Timex Sinclair 1000 was my only cassette system. I held off long enough that my first bare SBC was a Servo-8 with floppy disks: 6 MHz Z80, 64k DRAM, a few on board controllers.

        Despite the slight technical advantage over the Ampro Littleboard, in retrospect I regret not going the Ampro way since they had great community support and continued to grow, particularly with SCSI as a networking alternative.

        -- jeffj