Re: FS/FT: Two PDP-8 Omnibus Boards

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013

      > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
      > > These two came in a recent purchase:
      > >
      > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
      > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg
      > >
      > > Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps
      > > it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something.
      >
      > That seriously sucks.
      > I'm interested in the KL8JA [serial], unless someone else has an urgent need.
      >
      > -Dave

      My unrestored 8/F has a M6855 async board. I'm curious about the hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss this board offline, David Gesswein also if interested. May be a challenge to find some flatcable like that, I think I have some 60-wire around but not quite that version of it.

      Herb Johnson
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
        > > > These two came in a recent purchase:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
        > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg

        I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

        :)J
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
          On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:56:26AM -0000, s100doctor wrote:
          > I'm curious about the
          > hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss
          > this board offline,

          Traffic is low enough that probably doesn't need to go off list.

          Its for PDP-8/A. They are hex wide.
          http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/images/PDP8A-Cards.jpg
          I assume it was to allow connection of two chassis together to get more
          slots. Without the second board it has limited use.
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
            On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 04:05:39AM -0000, joshbensadon wrote:
            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:

            > I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've
            > seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

            2017 uses +5 and -12. 8017 is 5V only version of 2017.