Re: [midatlanticretro] Nascom User Group

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22 9:36 AM
      Mike,

      >> I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.

      Thank you. We try!

      >> I didn't see mention of ... Nascom

      I never heard of that until you joined our list. Was it only sold in Europe?

      Let us know if you ever visit our side of the pond.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23 8:48 AM

        > Mike,
        >
        > >> I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.
        >
        > Thank you. We try!
        >
        > >> I didn't see mention of ... Nascom
        >
        > I never heard of that until you joined our list. Was it only sold in Europe?
        >
        > Let us know if you ever visit our side of the pond.

        Evan,
        I have to admit that due to the Nascom popularity in Europe that they had made their way over to the USA too. I have looked to see if I can find any detail about export of them but not been successful.

        The is a very brief summary on Wikipedia:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascom

        And a good deal of documentation and detail here:
        http://www.nascomhomepage.com/

        and a blog here: http://nascom-uk.blogspot.co.uk/

        If I ever come your way I shall call in - probably not with the Nascom though!

        Regards,
        Mike
      • Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 3:19 PM
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Strange" <mjstrange@...> wrote:

          > I didn't see mention of anyone taking a Nascom to the show;
          > very much a homebrew computer of the 70s

          Yipes! More Z80s are coming out of the woodwork!

          Most folks are familiar with Sir Clive Marles Sinclair's Z80 systems: the ZX80, ZX81 and T/S 1000.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Sinclair

          Unless there was an article or advertisement for the system in one's favorite journal (Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, Computer Shopper, Nuts and Volts), or a user group at the Trenton Computer Fest, there was no way to know of it.

          The closest I came was almost assembling a Xerox 820 "bigboard" from parts, but I gave up when they went surplus so cheap it was not worth assembling it myself.

          My Timex Sinclair 1000 was my only cassette system. I held off long enough that my first bare SBC was a Servo-8 with floppy disks: 6 MHz Z80, 64k DRAM, a few on board controllers.

          Despite the slight technical advantage over the Ampro Littleboard, in retrospect I regret not going the Ampro way since they had great community support and continued to grow, particularly with SCSI as a networking alternative.

          -- jeffj