Nascom User Group

  • Mike Strange
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
      Gentlemen,

      I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.

      I didn't see mention of anyone taking a Nascom to the show; very much a homebrew computer of the 70s - I well remember making the 3000 plus soldered joints to put together my first Nascom 2.

      It soon became apparent to me that, despite the various excellent web sites, there is nowhere for like-minded folk to natter in a private group, share knowledge and experiences and generally form a dedicated community. Hence I started the new group just last week which is moderated for membership and first posting.

      If you have, had or aspire to own a Nascom then please do join us by signing in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nascom Please leave your name, location and a very brief few words as to your connection with Nascom computers. I run several Yahoo groups and always like to welcome new members in so that everyone starts to get to know each other; it works well.

      You may have see my introductory email in which I spoke of there being a story as to my original acquisition and construction of both Nascom 1 and 2 kits when they first became available. In the 80s I parted company with them both but recently have had cause to rekindle the interest and, thanks to someone seeing my plea I am now the proud owner of a Nascom 2 yet again. There is more detail on the user group.

      Very best regards,
      Mike Strange
      Nascom User Group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nascom
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2013
        Mike,

        >> I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.

        Thank you. We try!

        >> I didn't see mention of ... Nascom

        I never heard of that until you joined our list. Was it only sold in Europe?

        Let us know if you ever visit our side of the pond.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2013

          > Mike,
          >
          > >> I have been reading about your activities and event with great interest; one of the liveliest groups I have had the pleasure to be a member of.
          >
          > Thank you. We try!
          >
          > >> I didn't see mention of ... Nascom
          >
          > I never heard of that until you joined our list. Was it only sold in Europe?
          >
          > Let us know if you ever visit our side of the pond.

          Evan,
          I have to admit that due to the Nascom popularity in Europe that they had made their way over to the USA too. I have looked to see if I can find any detail about export of them but not been successful.

          The is a very brief summary on Wikipedia:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascom

          And a good deal of documentation and detail here:
          http://www.nascomhomepage.com/

          and a blog here: http://nascom-uk.blogspot.co.uk/

          If I ever come your way I shall call in - probably not with the Nascom though!

          Regards,
          Mike
        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Strange" <mjstrange@...> wrote:

            > I didn't see mention of anyone taking a Nascom to the show;
            > very much a homebrew computer of the 70s

            Yipes! More Z80s are coming out of the woodwork!

            Most folks are familiar with Sir Clive Marles Sinclair's Z80 systems: the ZX80, ZX81 and T/S 1000.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Sinclair

            Unless there was an article or advertisement for the system in one's favorite journal (Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, Computer Shopper, Nuts and Volts), or a user group at the Trenton Computer Fest, there was no way to know of it.

            The closest I came was almost assembling a Xerox 820 "bigboard" from parts, but I gave up when they went surplus so cheap it was not worth assembling it myself.

            My Timex Sinclair 1000 was my only cassette system. I held off long enough that my first bare SBC was a Servo-8 with floppy disks: 6 MHz Z80, 64k DRAM, a few on board controllers.

            Despite the slight technical advantage over the Ampro Littleboard, in retrospect I regret not going the Ampro way since they had great community support and continued to grow, particularly with SCSI as a networking alternative.

            -- jeffj