Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists on topic

    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 21 12:26 PM
      On 03/21/2013 09:34 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >> Don't dismiss the idea yet. I didn't have huge amounts of space
      >> until fairly recently. It's nowhere near as difficult/expensive to
      >> get as everyone seems to think.
      >
      > There are warehouses, the further you go, the cheaper they become. A
      > Farmer might also consider renting space in a barn, etc. But these
      > all become far away and imho is no way to enjoy your collection.

      Barns and warehouses...yech! That's a great way to ruin a collection.
      That's not work space...that's STORAGE space, and not very good storage
      space at that.

      There are more types of buildings than houses, barns, and warehouses!

      > After all that, I still have limited space, so I limit my collection.
      > Perhaps stick to certain types of computers? Select a fixed time
      > period?

      Or perhaps get a dwelling that supports the lifestyle that you want to
      live, rather than letting your dwelling dictate that lifestyle. In the
      past, this attitude wasn't practical...but times have changed, and it is
      VERY practical now.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 21 7:18 PM
        On 03/21/2013 09:16 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > The only thing I would like to have had that I've turned down was an HP 9000
        > L1000...not really vintage though. I drew the line at something I couldn't
        > move on my own. :-) Would probably have made a nice space heater though...

        Drawing the line at machines one can't move oneself is a good thing.

        I have an IBM z/890 here. It weighs 2100lbs. No typo.

        I can drive a forklift on my own. =)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ