Spring event plans (and name needed!)

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
      Attention kiddies!

      Our spring event will be an open work-and-consignment weekend (5/18-19).

      The even will be open to the public. We'll use the big unfinished room
      that housed the exhibits at VCF East 8.0 (that is building "9032-A" in
      InfoAge terms.)

      Half the room will be tables for working on computers. Half the room
      will be for consignment.

      We'll charge $5 if someone is merely attending, or $10 if they're
      bringing something to sell or repair. We'll also take 10% of sales as a
      consignment fee. (This income is for the club's general budget, not for
      food.)

      We will NOT do is let strangers drop off computers for us to repair.
      This isn't free service weekend. Instead, if non-MARCHins bring
      period-appropriate gear, we'll assign them a learned partner and * teach
      * them how to do things. We will expect the MARCH veterans to serve at
      least some of their time during the weekend as mentors.

      So basically it's just like our standard work weekends, except it'll be
      open for outsiders to join in, and we'll formalize the "stuff available"
      tables so the club makes some money.

      OMARC's hamfest is May 18, down the street at the TIROS dish campus,
      from 7-11am. Our event will start at 9am. Both events will refer people
      to other.

      As at our past work weekends, this also isn't a party. Obviously nerds
      must eat, so we'll make some plans for that, but food/drink is strongly
      discouraged in repair/sales tables. Also discouraged are people who
      attend just to hang out.

      Just for extra caution, all attendees in the work area will sign a
      liability waiver. I know you're all smart and careful, but who knows
      with the general public...

      Some people may choose to bring their own items to repair. Others may
      opt to work on MARCH systems. Still others may want to be open for
      helping everyone else, or some combination of the above.

      Alas, this event needs a clever name! Suggestions?
    • wesleyhfurr
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
        MARCH MADNESS. Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists May Annual Digital
        Number-crunching Equipment Support & Sale. Though if it's not really an
        annual event, then A would have to be something else...

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
          >> MARCH MADNESS.

          I thought about that, but it would be confusing because it's in May.

          >> not really an annual event

          Correct. Just a stopgap because we cancelled VCF East this year.
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
            March May Mega Machine Market Madness..
            Or.. Mmmm.. For short..
          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
              > Or.. Mmmm.. For short..

              ..Taste of Sugar?

              Thanks,
              Jonathan
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > Alas, this event needs a clever name! Suggestions?

                I called a work weekend at my place, a Vintage Computer Workshop (VCW).

                Will there be some place to crash, on the grounds? Even if it's just
                in the workshop?

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                  >> Will there be some place to crash, on the grounds? Even if it's just in the workshop?

                  To be determined.

                  Frankly I prefer the $40/night motel that we book for VCF East. It's
                  only a couple of miles away, it's safe, there's wifi, and you don't have
                  to listen to certain people snore like a poorly tuned chainsaw (they
                  know who they are!)