Re: Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists on topic

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 21, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      >
      > Can you offer some tips as far as finding such storage space? With two kids
      > at home (and a wife who is already annoyed with my collecting habits), about
      > the only storage I have is a 12x20 outdoor shed...which isn't really a great
      > place for vintage computers, but it has to do...and is already about full...
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Wesley

      There are warehouses, the further you go, the cheaper they become. A Farmer might also consider renting space in a barn, etc. But these all become far away and imho is no way to enjoy your collection.

      I also have wife and kids, so my space is limited. There is space in the garage and attic, but I refuse to store vintage computers there due to temperature. But I moved all my non temperature sensitive stuff there (bicycles, metal and wood working, tools, etc).

      After all that, I still have limited space, so I limit my collection. Perhaps stick to certain types of computers? Select a fixed time period? I've rejected some computers just because they've strayed too far from my interest. If you're collecting for the return value of these computers, then storing them in an unheated shed will damage their value. If you love these computers, please find a good home for them and don't let them decay.

      :)J
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 21, 2013
        On 03/21/2013 09:16 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > The only thing I would like to have had that I've turned down was an HP 9000
        > L1000...not really vintage though. I drew the line at something I couldn't
        > move on my own. :-) Would probably have made a nice space heater though...

        Drawing the line at machines one can't move oneself is a good thing.

        I have an IBM z/890 here. It weighs 2100lbs. No typo.

        I can drive a forklift on my own. =)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ