Good news -- museum shelving

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20 9:30 PM
      Everyone,

      The MARCH board voted to buy another couple of dozen shelving units for our storage area.

      That's great news. We already own a couple of dozen units (I don't know the exact amount offhand) and currently our warehouse is more than halfway organized -- likes items with like items. So this decision to allot money for a bunch more shelving units should complete the majority of our organization needs.

      In the past year since this organizing project began, we've realized many benefits:

      - It's become vastly easier for us to find things. We no longer have to hunt.

      - We found some things that were misplaced, such as our KIM-1 and the HERO battery charger.

      - Our collection is much more presentable and is a much more pleasant place in which to work.

      - It became easy to see where we have excess inventory that can be sold.

      - The warehouse is safer and more appealing to InfoAge management.

      - The artifacts are in better situations for restoring.

      - Every is easier to move around, so we can do things like rearrange on the fly, sweep the floor, or even move our whole collection to a different H-building section if InfoAge needs us to do so.

      When the project is done, then people have the option of diving a whole level deeper. For example, there are three or four shelving units with boxes labeled "Commodore software" ... it's nice too have all our Commodore software in one place, but we still have to hunt through those boxes to gain any specific information.

      In addition to shelved items, we also have large areas of floor-standing artifacts, and we'll have several pallets full of items that aren't on wheels but are too heavy for shelves. (We do not intend to acquire pallet racks.)

      I hope the project will be done by the end of this year. A downside of the museum re-opening is that Jeff B. and I can't spend every Sunday devoted to the warehouse!

      What we need just as much as money and shelving is * HELP * ... we need people who are reliable, strong, can follow directions, and who'll show up on a regularly scheduled basis to do real work. So far Jeff. B and I, along with Jeff J. and others, have done most of the work by ourselves. We've gotten an incredible amount accomplished but we desperately need one, two, or three more dependable "regulars" to work with us.

      Example: last weekend we had myself, both Jeffs, Matt M., and Steve A. -- and in just a couple of hours the five of us cleared space equal to a full-sized SUV (or one UNIVAC). It was an awesome display of teamwork. More, please! :)
    • Wesley Furr

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21 2:01 PM
          Evan writes..
          > What we need just as much as money and shelving is * HELP * ... we
          > need people who are reliable, strong, can follow directions, and
          > who'll show up on a regularly scheduled basis to do real work. So
          > far Jeff. B and I, along with Jeff J. and others, have done most of
          > the work by ourselves. We've gotten an incredible amount
          > accomplished but we desperately need one, two, or three more
          > dependable "regulars"; to work with us.

          It was great seeing everyone who could make it out to Trenton Computer
          Fair. While the fair itself was OK (and some of the TCF staff are
          serious social catastrophes - ripping raffle tickets 5 feet away from
          where Frank was giving his keynote, really, how rude and distracting!)

          While I was down there I got the chance to chat with a friend. Long
          story short they offered me a job in the Jersey City area! I'll be
          moving down there mid summer and will subsequently be able to
          volunteer a lot of time to the museum. Looking forward to spending a
          lot more time down at Infoage!

          -m
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21 7:42 PM
            Good news