Re: [midatlanticretro] FS/FT: Two PDP-8 Omnibus Boards

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
      > These two came in a recent purchase:
      >
      > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
      > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg
      >
      > Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps
      > it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something.

      That seriously sucks.

      > The M8655/KL8JA async line
      > interface is in excellent cosmetic condition...very clean, came to me in an
      > antistatic bag. I have no way of knowing if it works as I don't have a PDP-8. There's
      > a hand-marked baud rate table sticker on it.

      I'm interested in the KL8JA, unless someone else has an urgent need.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013

        > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
        > > These two came in a recent purchase:
        > >
        > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
        > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg
        > >
        > > Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps
        > > it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something.
        >
        > That seriously sucks.
        > I'm interested in the KL8JA [serial], unless someone else has an urgent need.
        >
        > -Dave

        My unrestored 8/F has a M6855 async board. I'm curious about the hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss this board offline, David Gesswein also if interested. May be a challenge to find some flatcable like that, I think I have some 60-wire around but not quite that version of it.

        Herb Johnson
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
          > > > These two came in a recent purchase:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
          > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg

          I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

          :)J
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
            On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:56:26AM -0000, s100doctor wrote:
            > I'm curious about the
            > hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss
            > this board offline,

            Traffic is low enough that probably doesn't need to go off list.

            Its for PDP-8/A. They are hex wide.
            http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/images/PDP8A-Cards.jpg
            I assume it was to allow connection of two chassis together to get more
            slots. Without the second board it has limited use.
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
              On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 04:05:39AM -0000, joshbensadon wrote:
              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:

              > I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've
              > seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

              2017 uses +5 and -12. 8017 is 5V only version of 2017.