FS/FT: Two PDP-8 Omnibus Boards

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 5:22 PM
      All,

      These two came in a recent purchase:

      http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
      http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg

      Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something. The M8655/KL8JA async line interface is in excellent cosmetic condition...very clean, came to me in an antistatic bag. I have no way of knowing if it works as I don't have a PDP-8. There's a hand-marked baud rate table sticker on it.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20 8:08 PM
        On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
        > These two came in a recent purchase:
        >
        > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
        > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg
        >
        > Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps
        > it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something.

        That seriously sucks.

        > The M8655/KL8JA async line
        > interface is in excellent cosmetic condition...very clean, came to me in an
        > antistatic bag. I have no way of knowing if it works as I don't have a PDP-8. There's
        > a hand-marked baud rate table sticker on it.

        I'm interested in the KL8JA, unless someone else has an urgent need.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22 8:56 PM

          > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
          > > These two came in a recent purchase:
          > >
          > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
          > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg
          > >
          > > Unfortunately someone cut the ribbon cables from the M9360 Hex Expander, but perhaps
          > > it's of use as a base for a protoboard or something.
          >
          > That seriously sucks.
          > I'm interested in the KL8JA [serial], unless someone else has an urgent need.
          >
          > -Dave

          My unrestored 8/F has a M6855 async board. I'm curious about the hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss this board offline, David Gesswein also if interested. May be a challenge to find some flatcable like that, I think I have some 60-wire around but not quite that version of it.

          Herb Johnson
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22 9:05 PM
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 03/20/2013 08:22 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
            > > > These two came in a recent purchase:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/pdp8serial.jpg
            > > > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/hexexpander.jpg

            I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

            :)J
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23 6:18 AM
              On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:56:26AM -0000, s100doctor wrote:
              > I'm curious about the
              > hex expander, as my Omnibus 8 is quad width. Maybe a few of us can discuss
              > this board offline,

              Traffic is low enough that probably doesn't need to go off list.

              Its for PDP-8/A. They are hex wide.
              http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/images/PDP8A-Cards.jpg
              I assume it was to allow connection of two chassis together to get more
              slots. Without the second board it has limited use.
            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23 6:42 AM
                On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 04:05:39AM -0000, joshbensadon wrote:
                > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@> wrote:

                > I noticed it uses a 2017 Uart chip. I am guessing the 8017 chips I've
                > seen around are future relatives of the 2017?

                2017 uses +5 and -12. 8017 is 5V only version of 2017.