Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists on topic

    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 20, 2013
      On 03/20/2013 10:02 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >> I'm one of the self-professed "old farts" in the group, HS class of '73. My first
      >> computer was an IBM 360/67, where I learned FORTRAN.
      >
      >> Punched card technology left a big impression on me. not feasible for most of us to
      >> collect mainframes
      >
      > We need more "old farts", I wish more like you would get online and share the lessons
      > of yesteryear.

      I come from the "in between" generation, HS class of 1987; I turn 44 tomorrow
      actually. In my pre-teen years I eagerly read everything I could about these new "home
      computers", but early on, a neighbor recognized my love for technology and gave me a
      stack of Datamation magazines. That pretty much determined my destiny.

      > I wish we all had lots of space for collecting mainframes, etc. Sadly, I don't have
      > the space either, so for this reason I'm working on focusing my collection to the
      > Computers featured in Popular Electronics & Radio Electronics.

      Don't dismiss the idea yet. I didn't have huge amounts of space until fairly
      recently. It's nowhere near as difficult/expensive to get as everyone seems to think.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 21, 2013
        On 03/21/2013 09:16 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > The only thing I would like to have had that I've turned down was an HP 9000
        > L1000...not really vintage though. I drew the line at something I couldn't
        > move on my own. :-) Would probably have made a nice space heater though...

        Drawing the line at machines one can't move oneself is a good thing.

        I have an IBM z/890 here. It weighs 2100lbs. No typo.

        I can drive a forklift on my own. =)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ