Re: Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists on topic

  • diagonalboard
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 20 7:24 AM
      Another old fart checking in, HS class of '69.

      First computer was a Geniac (educational toy) and had some chance to work with a friend's Minivac 601 (another educational product). First full computer I worked with was an IBM 1130, but had a chance to work with lots of old tech in the early days - pre-computer punched card equipment like IBM 407, tube based computers, discrete transistor computers, drum memory, core, most of 360 line and successors, also GE, Honeywell, SDS, DDP and other machines, etc.

      Currently assembling a replica mainframe (1130), right now building the complement of peripherals using reasonable machinery I can find and interfacing/emulation. Documation M600 card reader emulating IBM 2501, punched card duplicator being converted into 1442 punch, HP line printer emulating 1403, DEC RK05AA drive emulating ramkit disk in 1130, paper tape reader and punch units emulating 1055/1134, Strobe model 100 plotter emulating 1627, modified IBM Electronic Typewriter model 50 (selectric type) emulating the console printer, non-ibm keypunch keyboard emulating keyboard of 1130 console, plus realistic light display panels, switches, buttons, etc.

      In other words, if you can't collect a copy of your first computer, build one yourself. Project is a stimulus to learning and improving skills in electronics, design and other arts - hobby that will likely keep me sane when I retire in a few years.

      Carl

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 21 7:18 PM
        On 03/21/2013 09:16 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > The only thing I would like to have had that I've turned down was an HP 9000
        > L1000...not really vintage though. I drew the line at something I couldn't
        > move on my own. :-) Would probably have made a nice space heater though...

        Drawing the line at machines one can't move oneself is a good thing.

        I have an IBM z/890 here. It weighs 2100lbs. No typo.

        I can drive a forklift on my own. =)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ