Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists on topic

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 20 5:11 AM

      > Interesting Thread in vintage-computer.com about ages of hobbyists in our
      > topic
      > http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?35994-After-the-Class
      > -of-86

      I'm one of the self-professed "old farts" in the group, HS class of
      '73. I got into the hobby for many of the same reasons as others:
      nostalgia for the early micros, owning the systems that I read about in
      magazines but could never afford, the company of like-minded hobbyists.
      My first computer was an IBM 360/67, where I learned FORTRAN. The first
      computer I owned was a TRS-80 Model III.

      Punched card technology left a big impression on me. While it's not
      feasible for most of us to collect mainframes (Sridhar, Dave), I was able
      to eventually acquire a card reader and a couple of keypunches. A
      keypunch was one of the few "hands-on" technologies available to
      programmers in the late '60s and early '70s.

      I was also fortunate enough (although I didn't think so at the time) to
      be able to work on vacuum tube computer technology from the '50s. Core
      memory, marginal checking and magnetic drums were all part of the AN/FSQ-7
      (SAGE) system, a technological marvel for its time.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 21 7:18 PM
        On 03/21/2013 09:16 PM, Wesley Furr wrote:
        > The only thing I would like to have had that I've turned down was an HP 9000
        > L1000...not really vintage though. I drew the line at something I couldn't
        > move on my own. :-) Would probably have made a nice space heater though...

        Drawing the line at machines one can't move oneself is a good thing.

        I have an IBM z/890 here. It weighs 2100lbs. No typo.

        I can drive a forklift on my own. =)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ