Re: Paper Tape Punch...

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
      Josh send me an email at corey986@..., I want to ask you a question, but your profile doesn't let me send you an email.

      Thanks,
      Corey

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a really clean Facit 4047 combo punch/reader, but I can't figure out
      > > what it takes to put it into binary mode. I've got it punching ASCII with
      > > XON/XOFF, but I should be able to punch regular binary data by using
      > > hardware flow control. My current attempts have failed me, especially with
      >

      > I am using a Trend-DLC. To get mine to punch the 8th bit (really the 7th bit), I have to put it in Half Duplex mode. I'm not sure why, but it works. This unit has a reader too, and I can put it into a copy mode, feed it some paper tape and it will punch a copy. But, again, the copy mode is a selection of other modes. There isn't a button simply labeled "Copy". In the back, it has a Modem and Printer port. I'm not sure how to use the Printer port, haven't played with that port yet.
      >
      > For your punch, I guess you should just go through every possible combination. Something is bound to work.
      >
      > :)J

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013

        > For your punch, I guess you should just go through every possible
        > > combination. Something is bound to work.
        > >

        > Well...that's a good number of settings! It validates the settings, but you
        > don't always have an idea of what constitutes a valid setting until you try
        > it. Thus, it would be quite time consuming! I wonder if I shouldn't just
        > dump the EPROMs and disassemble them...it's only 6809 assembly (if I
        > recall)! Albeit, many of the settings are just 0s and seem to not be
        > terribly important. There are only 16 settings that seem as though they
        > have a direct impact in making it work properly.
        >
        > In case you're curious, here's my manual dump of all of the settings in the
        > menu:
        > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Ow1Wo1rBQUa0pJeV9WT2xScTQ/edit?usp=sharing
        >
        > Kyle

        Wow, I can see how every combination will be very tedious and time consuming. I like the idea of reverse engineering the firmware, I've always found that kind of work to be stimulating. It's also less prone to cumulative problems. For instance, let's say by sequentially testing jumpers you hit upon the "8 bit mode" but what if the 8th pin is mechanically stuck? You'll be chasing your tail.
        But if you go the reverse engineering way, you'll know the purpose of all the jumpers and how to set them. Then if the 8th pin doesn't fire, you'll know to look elsewhere (mechanics, drivers, etc).

        :)J