Re: [midatlanticretro] May 18/19 MARCH event

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 19 3:32 PM
      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      >> If it's going to be a real swap meet, you might want to run this as such - much the way as a Hamfest operates.

      Right. That is what I meant. Except we'd be indoors, not working from parking spaces ('cause what if it rains?)

      It would be safe to keep it indoors at first. If it gets bigger in the future you can always expand :)
      Besides making a flyer and sending it around,
      these are just some of the simple incentives that are used elsewhere - I'm sure there's others you can add to the flyer.
       - hold a raffle with several diff prizes, that runs hourly the whole day (using the admission ticket)
       - advanced visitor tickets get in early (hour early) and a discount (paypal)
       - advanced seller table registration get a discount (paypal)
       - ticket promotion, every 377th(octal) visitor gets in free.
       - visitors who wear a VCFeast t-shirt get a small discount.
       - visitors who bring in copy of flyer get a small discount
       - Get the announcement added to the Northeast Electronic Flea market list (MIT Flea)
          http://w1mx.mit.edu/flea-at-mit  (visitors and sellers look here too)

    • Jeff Galinat
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 19 4:12 PM
        On 3/19/2013 1:23 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        But I have some concerns about the swap meet day. There could be more
        sellers than buyers; the buyers could be people just looking for
        rock-bottom prices; and thus it might therefore stink.

        What can we do to make it AWESOME without being too (V)CF-y?

        Hi Evan,
          I guess I don't understand the concerns.  I think that you would attract many of the same people that attend the VCF event, but this time it is a vintage computer related flea market. I've been doing hamfests and the TCF flea market for 35 years. The seller sets a reasonable price and the buyer almost always wants it for less, and usually there is some middle ground and a price is agreed upon.  In my opinion, while poor sales may be a possibility it is like that at any hamfest or other technology fleamarket.   That would affect the sellers but many of the sellers are also there to add to their own collections.  If the price of a vendor table includes an admission and is reasonably priced at $25 or so, most sellers jump at that chance to do some trading before the public even gets there.  I may be wrong, but most collectors I know have collected duplicate or excess items over the years and need to "thin the herd" periodically to purchase more unique items for the collection.  Many hamfests I go to every year, are little more that a parking lot with some type of restroom facility and everything is fine without being AWESOME as this is typically what is expected.
          While a tech day event is great for those that want one, I am only interested in the vintage flea market/swap meet.  Assuming the OMARC hamfest is still being held just down the street on Saturday (I didn't see any announcement on their website), that should also boost your traffic if you get the word out in the ham radio community.  Quite a few hams got started early in the microcomputer movement so there is some crossover.
        Regards,
        Jeff

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 22 9:04 PM

          > http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/tcf13_march.html
          >
          > Photos of the TCF MARCH exhibit and related. Anyone take photos of the Sarnoff table at the entrance to our room?
          >
          > Herb

          In related news, I got one of my "rejected for failure to run" computers running this week. See the Motorola equivalent to the MOS Technology KIM-1, namely the 6800-based D2!

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/6800D2.html

          Herb
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 22 9:09 PM
            1) I'm still looking for photos of the Sarnoff Collection table.

            2) I'll add links from my page, to other MARCH members who have TCF photos on their site. YOu can of course link to mine.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com