Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: UPSs looking for good homes

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18 8:45 AM
      Tom,

      >> I was still in "shock" after my first social outing with MARCH. :)

      We'll take that as a compliment! Wait until you see VCF, or tech repair days, and our winter party...

      >> Ahh, "grown-up" UPSs. I am definitely interested in them

      Told ya Dave M. would be!
    • hornbetw
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18 9:27 AM

        > On 03/17/2013 10:34 AM, hornbetw wrote:
        > >> Where? Battery status?

        > > Sorry Dave, I should have provided a little more info up front. In
        > > my defense, I was still in "shock" after my first social outing with
        > > MARCH. :) The UPSs are commercial data center type units. They have
        > > to be hard wired to the AC input. Each unit is dishwasher sized and
        > > weigh 350 to 390 pounds. They use external battery packs. The
        > > company I work for makes batteries for these units but I don't have
        > > any pricing info. It may be possible that I could get batteries
        > > cheap or possibly free. We're cleaning up the plant I work in, so I
        > > may be able to finagle a set of batteries. The units are currently
        > > located in Leola, about 5 miles East of Lancaster. I have a sales
        > > brochure and the users manual I can email you if you're still
        > > interested.
        >
        > Ahh, "grown-up" UPSs. I am definitely interested in them, but I may
        > not be able to move them anytime soon. Do you have a required timeframe
        > for removal?
        >
        > Oh, one important question...What's their input configuration, single
        > phase or three-phase?
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

        We have some one picking up electronic scrap tomorrow, so I'll let the warehouse guy know that I definitely want them. I have a friend I'll see tonight that might be able to loan me some space in his garage just to get them off the premise. My In-Laws are from the 'Burgh, so I might be able to arrange a road trip to bring them out. According to the brochure, the units are 120/208/240V Single Phase In-Out.
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18 10:53 AM
          Dave, I have a few of these large UPS's myself without batteries. If they weigh 300 pounds, it's likely there are some batteries in them already. the usual problems with them, is the gel-cell or lead-acid batteries wear out. They may or may not be common, I've seen all kinds.

          They could also accommodate external battery packs. I have some of those connectors, but if you can get the external battery cabinets and cables that would be a good thing, even if you can't get the batteries.

          When you move it, it may be worthwhile to look inside, possibly remove the batteries, almost certainly disconnect them. at least assess risks of moving and tipping over. It may be easier to move the batteries separately.

          Recyclers of car batteries, like used auto parts yards, may be reluctant to accept gel-cell batteries. I imagine you know what and where you can recycle basic materials. You might want to consider keeping these and getting some solar panels to charge them up; if they will produce AC independently of the power line condition. You can probably find out if these are "clean" sine-wave producers.

          herb

          Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18 11:39 AM
            On 03/18/2013 01:53 PM, s100doctor wrote:
            > Dave, I have a few of these large UPS's myself without batteries. If
            > they weigh 300 pounds, it's likely there are some batteries in them
            > already. the usual problems with them, is the gel-cell or lead-acid
            > batteries wear out. They may or may not be common, I've seen all
            > kinds.

            These are Best FerrUPS UPSes; they use large ferroresonant
            transformers...they are always unbelievably heavy, even without batteries.

            > Recyclers of car batteries, like used auto parts yards, may be
            > reluctant to accept gel-cell batteries. I imagine you know what and
            > where you can recycle basic materials. You might want to consider
            > keeping these and getting some solar panels to charge them up; if
            > they will produce AC independently of the power line condition.

            This is a really good idea!

            > You
            > can probably find out if these are "clean" sine-wave producers.

            FerrUPS UPSes usually are; their harmonic output is usually very low.
            I'll want to check these specific models though.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18 11:40 AM
              On 03/18/2013 12:27 PM, hornbetw wrote:
              >>> Sorry Dave, I should have provided a little more info up front.
              >>> In my defense, I was still in "shock" after my first social
              >>> outing with MARCH. :) The UPSs are commercial data center type
              >>> units. They have to be hard wired to the AC input. Each unit is
              >>> dishwasher sized and weigh 350 to 390 pounds. They use external
              >>> battery packs. The company I work for makes batteries for these
              >>> units but I don't have any pricing info. It may be possible that
              >>> I could get batteries cheap or possibly free. We're cleaning up
              >>> the plant I work in, so I may be able to finagle a set of
              >>> batteries. The units are currently located in Leola, about 5
              >>> miles East of Lancaster. I have a sales brochure and the users
              >>> manual I can email you if you're still interested.
              >>
              >> Ahh, "grown-up" UPSs. I am definitely interested in them, but I
              >> may not be able to move them anytime soon. Do you have a required
              >> timeframe for removal?
              >>
              >> Oh, one important question...What's their input configuration,
              >> single phase or three-phase?
              >>
              > We have some one picking up electronic scrap tomorrow, so I'll let
              > the warehouse guy know that I definitely want them. I have a friend
              > I'll see tonight that might be able to loan me some space in his
              > garage just to get them off the premise. My In-Laws are from the
              > 'Burgh, so I might be able to arrange a road trip to bring them out.
              > According to the brochure, the units are 120/208/240V Single Phase
              > In-Out.

              That would be FAN-TASTIC. Thank you!

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • hornbetw
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18 3:40 PM

                > >> Ahh, "grown-up" UPSs. I am definitely interested in them, but I
                > >> may not be able to move them anytime soon. Do you have a required
                > >> timeframe for removal?
                > >>
                > >> Oh, one important question...What's their input configuration,
                > >> single phase or three-phase?
                > >>
                > > We have some one picking up electronic scrap tomorrow, so I'll let
                > > the warehouse guy know that I definitely want them. I have a friend
                > > I'll see tonight that might be able to loan me some space in his
                > > garage just to get them off the premise. My In-Laws are from the
                > > 'Burgh, so I might be able to arrange a road trip to bring them out.
                > > According to the brochure, the units are 120/208/240V Single Phase
                > > In-Out.
                >
                > That would be FAN-TASTIC. Thank you!
                >
                > -Dave
                >
                > --
                > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                > New Kensington, PA

                After I weighed them, I checked for batteries, there are no batteries in these units. They look like you could put some "slightly larger than car battery size" batteries in the bottom of each unit. These units were used with external batteries. So most of the 300+ pounds is that big honkin' transformer! :)

                Tom
              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 22 9:01 PM
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "hornbetw" <hornbetw@...> wrote:

                  > After I weighed them, I checked for batteries, there are no batteries in these units. They look like you could put some "slightly larger than car battery size" batteries in the bottom of each unit. These units were used with external batteries. So most of the 300+ pounds is that big honkin' transformer! :)
                  >
                  > Tom

                  I think I have two of these, or their younger smaller siblings. You and McGuire should contact me offline and the three of us can sort these out.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com