Re: [midatlanticretro] TCF - questions people asked?

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
      At 3/17/2013 12:57 PM, s100doctor wrote:
      [...]
      >The surprising comment, was when someone pulled out a smart-phone and said "...and look where we are at now." I said, "yeah, but in five years, that phone will be worthless - but THIS (pointing to the H8 system) will STILL be worth a thousand bucks". Not the kindest thing I said, but it's a point worth noting.

      One big difference between the Heath and the phone: With the "smart-phone," it's the phone that's smart. With the Heath, it's the user that's smart.

      - Ken, wishing I'd made it to Trenton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
        > At 3/17/2013 12:57 PM, s100doctor wrote:
        > [...]
        > >The surprising comment, was when someone pulled out a smart-phone and
        said "...and look where we are at now." I said, "yeah, but in five years,
        that phone will be worthless - but THIS (pointing to the H8 system) will
        STILL be worth a thousand bucks". Not the kindest thing I said, but it's a
        point worth noting.

        > One big difference between the Heath and the phone: With the
        "smart-phone," it's the phone that's smart. With the Heath, it's the user
        that's smart.

        > - Ken, wishing I'd made it to Trenton

        On the way home my son asked me if I could put BASIC on his PC. He said
        his favorite thing was the Heathkit H8.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
          >> On the way home my son asked me if I could put BASIC on his PC.

          +1, but you already have a room full of computers that boot to BASIC...
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            >>> On the way home my son asked me if I could put BASIC on his PC.
            >
            >+1, but you already have a room full of computers that boot to BASIC...

            Ironic isn't it. He prefers old tech on modern devices if he has the choice.
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • David Comley
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
              It was a great day, I thought, and it was the first time I've been able to participate in a MARCH event so I was grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it.

              The range, quality and appropriateness of the exhibits speaks volumes about MARCH and its members.

              I met some great folks and was disappointed not to have joined everyone for dinner but by that point I was losing my voice and my boots had apparently sprung a leak - so I had wet feet from the snow !

              The most frequent question I was asked was "is that a KIM-1 ?". How extraordinary ! A lot of people remembered them, and the Silent 700 too.

              I enjoyed Herb and Bill's photos of the event. I have a few medium format film shots I took of the Mark 8 and some of the other exhibits. I'll try to get them processed shortly.

              -David

              On Mar 17, 2013, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:

              I exhibited my Heath H8 and H19 at MARCH's vintage computer exhibit at TCF yesterday. It had the H17 5.25-inch drives and hard-sectored controller, and I ran HDOS 1.6 and BASIC games. I worked with David Comley, who kindly transported me and equipment, we shared two tables. David showed a KIM-1, a cassette recorder for storage, and a TI Silent 700 portable thermal-paper terminal to operate it. We took turns showing an ADM-3A+ and an ADM-3A terminal.

              Many people old and young came to the TCF event and saw our MARCH exhibits. I have an interest in COSMAC RCA 1802's, so I'll mention a surprise: the TCNJ Sarnoff Museum hosted a table at the entrance to the MARCH/Vintage room, and their director was on-site. They are working on the museum facility, but a laptop in their exhibit showed the digitized portion of the collection, plus they had some artifacts on display. Some COSMACS were running in the MARCH room also.

              I'm sure the MARCH exhibitors will report their results here in the MARCH 'list - I'd like to see that. I'll put my edited photos on my Web site with my report, and post a link here, as others will of course.

              It occurs to me the event was a learning opportunity for the exhibitors. It's a slightly different crowd from VCF and Infoage. For many, TCF is now a MODERN computer show or digital technology show (or robotics or ham radio), plus speakers; not a "vintage" show. For repeat attendees it IS a vintage show. I have a request for my colleagues, and I think Evan et al won't object if I lead to ask...

              "What were the five most common questions or comments of those who looked at your exhibit?" and

              "What was the most UNEXPECTED comment or question?"

              "Five" is just a suggestion, of course, and it gives room for people to post some of the same things. That's informative if "everyone" got the same questions. Let's see what I got...

              ...generally, when people showed interest, I explained briefly what they were looking at. So I did not get the "what IS that thing?" kind of question. A terminal ran BASIC, many people remember what those are. A few pre-teen kids actually started re-writing the programs.

              1) "I remember using that Heath H-8...does it have (various Heath options) installed?"

              2) "I really wanted that H-8 when it came out, but could not afford it."

              3) "The H-19 is a *really sharp* screen display."

              4) "how does this BASIC game work?"

              5) "that's pretty neat/impressive stuff! (general how-about-that kind of comments.

              The surprising comment, was when someone pulled out a smart-phone and said "...and look where we are at now." I said, "yeah, but in five years, that phone will be worthless - but THIS (pointing to the H8 system) will STILL be worth a thousand bucks". Not the kindest thing I said, but it's a point worth noting.

              I enjoyed the show and it went well, and many MARCHers had a nice early dinner together at the Ewing Diner. I don't think anyone had a bad experience. I'll say more on my own site, but my thanks go to Evan and Bill Degnan, and our hosts at TCNJ (Al Katz foremost), and to my colleagues in attendance.

              Herb Johnson